Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RESCUERABBITS

No Time To Be On Time

7 posts in this topic

Recently I attended a Fire related seminar. Like many seminars and training courses there was a delay on the starting time. As a mater of fact it seems almost every training course or seminar I have recently attended is delayed due to "still waiting for a few more members to show up", "we will wait fior the late comers", "lets give them a few more minutes" etc. My question is WHY. Many of us make a concerted effort to leave early and be there before the start of these classes. The delayed starting time prolongs the courses, sets bad examples, disrupts the instructors and those of us trying to learn sometime.

This seems to be the new trend and way of life in our country. Its unprofessional and should not be tolerated. We have been told in many ways we should be operating our Fire Departments like a business. Why can't we do so?

I was recently waiting at 0830hrs for a store to open and again it was delayed. A gentleman also waiting with me told me, in his business he hold weekly meeting and has had the similar problem with late employees. He addresses this problem but starting his meetings on time, first order of business is deligating the worst possible jobs to the members who are late. Then he addresses the most important issues next. After doing this several times all employees are now extra early at all his business meetings.

A friend also addresses the late appointment issues with all of his Doctors, he give them 20 minutes after the scheduled appointment time and thens walks out of the offices. He advises everyone present, that his time is also worth money and please schedule me for a time when he can be taken on time. After doing this several times this has seemed to work.

We lead by example, so lets set the example.

Is being on time so hard to do?

Is being on time so hard to do?

You're absolutely right! We are our own worst enemies! If a class or meeting starts at a certain time, we should be there on time. I had a college professor who locked the door at 9:01 (for a 9:00 class) and if you were late - too bad, you were in the hall. Amazing how many people made it to that class on time.

Maybe we should start locking doors at the FTC and PA????

I always try to be @ work 15 minutes before my shift official starts, if i can i try to get in 30 minutes before. That way, i can come in, BS for a little bit give the truck a once over, throw in my GPS unit and get settled before i even come on. If a job comes in, i can handle it so the person before me wount be stuck getting off work an hour + late.

Your teacher was Mr. Hand at Ridgemont High?

No, at least then I would have had some pizza!!!

My partner says that if you're early you're on time. If you're on time you're late and if you're late we're in trouble!!!

Edited by Chris192

The only time that I often give a few extra minutes during any course is the very first night. That is the only time, I explain very firmly that I start on time and that if you are late you are responsible for any material that was covered and if you are 20 or more minutes late it is considered an absence.

Tardiness and absences are a major frustration for instructors. Even more perplexing is how many students that often ask "how many classes can I miss?" or come up to you with some of the most ridiculous reasons as to why they will miss a certain session and in a tone as if they are looking for a free pass. I've heard the gambit as far as that goes...from installation dinners to parades of all else. It makes you seriously wonder about the commitment of such people to my profession.

Throw in students that show up with no pen for a class or don't bring their books and you just want to scream.

I've heard the same Chris...and as in the Marines we always said....15 minutes prior...and then you want to be 15 minutes prior to the 15 minutes prior.

The only time that I often give a few extra minutes during any course is the very first night.  That is the only time, I explain very firmly that I start on time and that if you are late you are responsible for any material that was covered and if you are 20 or more minutes late it is considered an absence.

Tardiness and absences are a major frustration for instructors.  Even more perplexing is how many students that often ask "how many classes can I miss?" or come up to you with some of the most ridiculous reasons as to why they will miss a certain session and in a tone as if they are looking for a free pass.  I've heard the gambit as far as that goes...from installation dinners to parades of all else.  It makes you seriously wonder about the commitment of such people to my profession. 

Throw in students that show up with no pen for a class or don't bring their books and you just want to scream.

I've heard the same Chris...and as in the Marines we always said....15 minutes prior...and then you want to be 15 minutes prior to the 15 minutes prior.

I was taught if you are not 10 minutes early....you are late. This was from a highly respected member of my former fire department.