Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Surplus vehicles

5 posts in this topic

On the front page of EMTBravo.com today is the new MVPD ESU Truck 3, which was aqquired surplus from NYC. Mount Vernon PD has several vehicles as does Yonkers that have been aqquired at a low cost as surplus, refurbished in house, and put to good use where it would have been unrealistic to buy a unit new.

In the chat room the other night, this topic came up. It was said that if people were willing to take the time and effort, an old NYPD ESU Radio Patrol truck would make a great mini-rescue or brush truck. It was also stated (DG795) that Yorktown DPW has aqquired a former NYPD ESU truck as a DPW ESU.

My question is, has any FD or EMS agency in Westchester considered or done this? I think it is a great low cost idea to supplement your fleet.

For several years Pelham Fire Department ran an old Mack CF pumper that they got second hand from FDNY, also, New Rochelle ran a spare Seagrave 100ft. RMA, that they too purchased used from FDNY.... but off hand, I do not know of any ESU recycles other than the MVPD. Frankly, for some fire departments/emergency services this is a very effective means of obtaining needed equipment at an affordable price..... If used pumper and aerials can be refurbed to suit a purpose with a new department, why couldn't the same be done with an old rescue? The only concern is the reliability of the rig? Will it be more of a financial burden for a department to keep a rig running than it will be to purchase something new? I'm just curious though, what is Yorktown DPW going to run a ESU vehicle on, EMS, FIRE daytime response? Or is it for watermain breaks and trees down/roads closed.....either way it sounds very interesting!

as unique as it would be, Ytown doesn't have a "DPW ESU Division" :D...They use the truck for logistical support for larger projects...such as lighting for night construction. I believe it also carries some specialized tools...If your interested, i could find out more and get some pictures too.

In Somers, we didn't purchase surplus from NYC, but from other areas.

In 1967, we purchased a rescue truck from New Hyde Park in LI, did a little refurb, and ran it front line until 1987, and in "Light Duty" until 2001, Great Investment!!

Another great investment- in 1975, purchased a ladder truck from Larchmont, refurbed slightly twice and ran until 2001.

Hopefully a good investment, is our current Ladder, a 1989 Sutphen from Kensington, MD. Doing well so far.

For the higher priced vehicles (new), I believe it's good to buy used, as long as it's a good deal, and you expect to get out of it what you pay for it, if you get more- that's a bonus!!

stiloski's towing in tarrytown also has a former nypd recycled ford cabover saulsbury rescue that carries the equip needed for the bigger tow jobs.

Yorktown highway also has a ford cabover saulsbury former nypd esu