Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bunkers

Co-Op City Public Safety

9 posts in this topic

The other day I went down to the driving range right along I-95, right near Co-op city. My friend who was driving kinda got us lost and we passed by a Co-op City Police truck that I think said ESU.

Are they completely seperate from the NYPD?

Co Op City has their own "Public Safety" Department. They also have their own maintenance. They are separate entities, but the area is patrolled by officers from the 45 PCT. Being as how this is a site where certain criticisms are not allowed. I am going to stop here.

The Co-Op City Department of Public Safety is a separate agency from NYPD. They are employees (Public Safety Officers) of the Riverbank Corp (that runs Co-Op city) that hold NYS peace officer status as they are armed. I did some training for their dispatchers several years ago and got some good info on them. They have a few patrol cars, some unmarked units, one ESU, bike patrols and foot patrols. They have a rank structure including detectives and a training division. The ESU runs on medicals with two PSO/EMTs on the rig. From my perspective it seemed to be a very well run and organized agency. Their precinct is just up the street from the FDNY firehouse in Co-Op City.

Stay Safe,

SFRD49

The Co-Op City Department of Public Safety is a separate agency from NYPD. They are employees (Public Safety Officers) of the Riverbank Corp (that runs Co-Op city) that hold NYS peace officer status as they are armed. I did some training for their dispatchers several years ago and got some good info on them. They have a few patrol cars, some unmarked units, one ESU, bike patrols and foot patrols. They have a rank structure including detectives and a training division. The ESU runs on medicals with two PSO/EMTs on the rig. From my perspective it seemed to be a very well run and organized agency. Their precinct is just up the street from the FDNY firehouse in Co-Op City.

Stay Safe,

SFRD49

actually not all peace officers in NYS are armed

does anyone know how they are hired, or what the process is?

I believe they give an exam.

is this the one you saw they are seprate from nypd and at the end of their shifts they have to give their guns back

post-2464-1175490701.jpg

Being as how this is a site where certain criticisms are not allowed. I am going to stop here.

I'm going to take a shot at this one. A couple of years ago when Co-Op PD went on strike NYPD filled the void. The residents actually protested the return of Co-Op PD. This isn't hear-say or speaculation this was reported by the media. There are a few great guys working for Co-Op but those guys are for the most part short timers using Co-Op as a stepping stone. The agency is largely plagued with guys who couldn't care less about the people they are suppose to protect. Riverbay has pumped alot of money to improve the place, but they can't quite shake free of the criminal element without effective law enfrcement. As for their ESU, I use to see them alot cruising around, but not once did I ever see them on a job. Had a few cardiac arrests, forced entries, etc and never saw them on scene.

Edited by partyrock

CO-OP CITY PUBLIC SAFETY

I don't know how they get away with having "POLICE" lettered on the Co-Op City Public Safety vehicles but anyway....

Employees of Co-Op City Public Safety are pretty much Armed Security Guards with some other areas of special training.

They do have arrest powers while on duty as they are NYS Peace Officers.

They are also NYC Special Patrolman; City of New York and the NYPD have this Special Training for all Security Guards that are required to carry firearms.

Co-Op City Public Safety Website:

http://www.riverbaycorp.com/newrb/public_safety.htm

THEY ARE NOT POLICE OFFICERS!