Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Greenburgh to pay crack convict to settle suit

8 posts in this topic

Not sure how to post the artlicle like you guys so I just Cut/Paste. What is the world coming too? Maybe we should just pay all of the convicts in the world. This is a smear to all LE around the world. The Town of Greenburgh should be ashamed of themselves for even thinking of settling this. Want to see what Moral does to GPD now.

GREENBURGH - A former police officer is criticizing the decision by town officials to settle a lawsuit brought by a convicted drug user against the officer and his partner.

The Town Board on Wednesday authorized a $7,500 payment to settle the $1.5 million lawsuit by Fred Wall, who claimed he was injured when Officer Erik Ward and Detective Paul Fertig arrested him two years ago.

Ward wrote Supervisor Paul Feiner and the other Town Board members last week after he learned of the proposed settlement:

"As I have just depleted my life savings on legal bills defending myself against crimes and actions that I have not committed. And as I work as a truck driver earning $239 a week in what seems like a futile attempt to keep my home and on occasion feed myself. You want to pay off a habitual crack addict and violent offender for his pain."

Ward was fired this year after his involvement with a dominatrix. The dominatrix said that when they met after her arrest on a marijuana charge, she had defecated for him as he masturbated.

Ward insisted she made up the allegations, and he was acquitted of a misdemeanor, official misconduct, in Town Court.

But the Town Board fired him after finding him guilty of disciplinary charges brought by Chief John Kapica, because he did not follow the proper procedures for dealing with an informant and brought discredit upon the Police Department and the town.

Ward suggested it was the board members who were discrediting the town by settling with Wall.

"You should be thrashed in the media, not me," he wrote.

Feiner and Town Board member Diana Juettner declined to comment on the settlement or Ward's criticism. Juettner referred calls to David Fried in the Town Attorney's Office, but he could not be reached for comment.

Kapica said he worries about such settlements because they encourage people to sue and they suggest a lack of support for the police. But, he also said, there are times when it is practical for the town to settle rather than pay legal fees to fight a lawsuit.

"I hate it. I absolutely hate it," Kapica said of such settlements. "But that's tort law in this country."

Kapica said the $7,500 in Wall's case seemed to make fiscal sense.

Wall was arrested by Ward and Fertig twice in 2005, first in June and then on Sept. 29, after they saw him smoking crack.

When they approached him the second time, he began to run, and they pounced on him after he slipped and fell.

The officers said he scuffled with them, and Ward hurt his wrist and elbow when Wall rolled over on top of his arm.

Wall pleaded guilty to assault on a police officer, resisting arrest and misdemeanor drug possession in February 2006 and was sent to the county jail for nine months. Soon after he got out, he sued the town, Ward and Fertig, claiming his constitutional rights were violated by the officers' use of excessive force.

Wall made a complaint to the police in November 2005 that the officers had used excessive force.

Thomas Troetti, Ward's lawyer, said Wall saw an easy payday and sued after he learned Ward was embroiled in the dominatrix scandal beginning in January 2006. Wall and his lawyer could not be reached for comment.

Wow, I am shocked about this. This would be the same incidence though if someone were to break into your house, and slip and fall and break they arm. The crook would get locked up, and from jail would sue you for his injury. Total BS!

It happens all the time. The bigger the municipality the more likely they are to throw a few grand at the problem to make it go away.

I hate it when you are minding your business smoking a lil crack and the cops come and harass you. LOL! J/K

Town of Greenburgh paid off a CRIMINAL?

The flood gates have opened!

In today's world sadly it's all too common.

SHOW ME DA MONEY!

Now that he has money the 2 police officers should sue him for the injuries pain and sufferring they sustained while arresting him. What the hell its worth a try and I'm sure some lawyer would take the case for notarioty alone.

Thank you ACLU and liberal democrats. Thank you.

Damn I keep looking for the smiling that has its middle finger up and still can't find it.

Just another RIDICULOUS case of someone trying to cash in from the deep pockets of a Municipality! mad.gif

Gee, I wonder where this upstanding citizen of Greenburgh will spend that $7500?

I bet he gives it to charity, like some piece of sh!t crack dealer down on his luck...

Although it drives me nuts to read about this, it pains me knowing that this really is what our society is all about. Cops have the toughest job there is, nobody gives them the respect they deserve.