Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Fireground Rehab

7 posts in this topic

Considering the recent spurt of structure fires in the Northern Westchester area, I was wondering (spurred by someone's mention of it in the Croton discussion): What are different department's policies regarding rehab? Do you just call in an ambulance to standby and watch while the firefighters just step back, grab a watter, cool off and jump back in? Or do you have a REAL rehab system setup with a set minimum time out dependant on environment (longer on hot and really cold days), vital sign tracking, hydration and nutritional rehab (sports drinks and granola bars)? I think with all the LODD notices you see of people dropping on a scene from heart attacks and the like, the guys and girls running the fireground should be well taken care of and tracked medically. Sure, it's a b**** to be told to sit out for a while because your B/P is too high, but it's better than sitting out permanently becuase you worked yourself (literally) to death. I have been told in the past (correct if wrong) that it is the Fire Department's responsibility to develop a rehab program for thier department. I personally think that the EMS from the area should be involved and everyone should sit down as a group and hash out a definitive plan for protecting the health and safety of our brothers and sisters. The days of the ambulance crews sitting around twiddling thier thumbs should be gone and a better plan instituted.

I totally agree with WA967. Rehab is an extremly important function, yet for the most part, overlooked.

Rehab should be done by EMS personel on scene. For the most part anyways, EMS just stands there. The FF's should have other things do do than rehab, plus EMS more trained for a plan like this.

The days of the Salvation Army Coffee Truck are long gone, or should be. IMO, the county should purchase 3 specially-equipped rehab trucks (one each for South, Central, and North) , similar to Los Angleles FD's Rehab 28, which even has a bathroom!

In Somers-

The policy is (1) Ambulance is to respond to all Fire Calls. Upon the transmission of a Working Fire, the response is upgraded to (2) Ambulances and (1) Medic.

-The reason behind this is so (1) Ambulance is on scene strictly for EMS, if a Firefighter or Civilian needs medical care/ transport.

The second Ambulance and Medic is for Rehab of Firefighters.

-All Somers Ambulances are equipped with Rehab supplies, at all times. All Somers Fire Apparatus is equipped with at least (1) case of bottled water, for use on smaller incidents were an Ambulance is not on scene, or before an Ambulance arrives.

At some large fires I have seen the county bring in a beeline bus for the firefighters to sit in and cool down. The only problem is that most of them dont want to, guess it must be the adreniline rush but they seem to want to go and go...from what I have seen.

Actually , Fire-Rescue magazine also has a huge article on this. It has tips all firefighters should take when fighting a fire. It was some good tips, and I recomend people read the article, and the magazine.

Rehab is one of my hot topics. I have a powerpoint presentation that I do and have done it for several agencies/depts in dutchess.