Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
201/65

FAA Regulations on Fire Apparatus Color

8 posts in this topic

According to X635 City of Los Angeles Engine 51 is lime due to FAA regulations on the color of fire apparatus. Does anyone know the reason for this, or who is regulated and who is not?

f) Vehicle marking and lighting. Each vehicle required under §139.317 shall --

(1) Have a flashing or rotating beacon; and

(2) Be painted or marked in colors to enhance contrast with the background environment and optimize daytime and nighttime visibility and identification.

(g) FAA Advisory Circulars in the 150 series contain standards for painting, marking and lighting vehicles used on airports which are acceptable to the Administrator.

By reading this section from other post it does not say they have to be Lime.

1995 Seagrave Assigned To Station 51 At LAX As An Engine Company For LAX Airport & LAX Structures. Only Lime Green Engine In LAFD Fleet Due To FAA Regulations. Rescue Ambulance 51 Is Also Lime Green

This along with the fact that every piece of fire apparatus I have ever seen that is stationed at an airport was lime green, with the exception of Stewart Airport, whose last 4 new pieces were red. I thought that maybe the FAA had requirements that all ARFF apparatus had to be the same color, and designated lime green as that color.

I know of an Air force base around here that has a Red & White Oshkosh. I think it's reccomended, but not mandatory.

Mike

this is from the FAA website

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...150_5210_5c.pdf

VEHICLE PAINTING.

a.

Ambulances. Ambulance vehicles are painted per Federal Specification KKK-A-1822E, Federal Specification for the Star-of-Life Ambulance.

b.

Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) Vehicles. Yellowish-green is the vehicle color standard. Color specifications are per Appendix A.

NOTE: A yellowish-green color provides optimum visibility during all light levels encountered during a 24-hour day and under variations of light that result from weather and seasonal changes.

c.

Airport Operations Vehicles, Airfield Service Vehicles. Chrome yellow is the vehicle color standard. Color specifications are per Appendix A. When vehicles are equipped with bumper bars 8 inches (205mm) or more in depth, the bars should be painted in alternate stripes 4 inches (100mm) in width of chrome yellow and black inclined 45° to the vertical.

d.

Aircraft Support Vehicles and Other Vehicles. Any color or combination of colors other than yellowish-green or chrome yellow. The bumper bar markings in paragraph 3c are recommended.

e.

Airport Security Vehicles. Comply with specific state or local requirements.

Edited by vfd l18

Just checked with a FAA official(my sister-in-law) says statements are true. although a lot of detail., translation(bullsh__) there are requirments. these only pertain to Fire apparatus on site at airports and not to responding mutual aid apparatus

back in the 70's the air force went to scotchlight numbers on the rigs which made them standout in the dark. It was a benefit to other firefighters but also to the control tower to help identify units while they were driving on the ramps,runways etc.