Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

FDNY Changes

8 posts in this topic

With the new Chief of Deparment getting into the swing of things changes are underway.

EMS has been changed around, no longer 6 Divisions now just five . Each EMS Division is now reporting to the Fire Boro Commander.

SOC Battalion "Special Operations Battalion" is no longer.. A New "Rescue Operations Battalion" will become effective 9/20/2004.

Also in this weeks chief. He made comments that in the future he sees "Firefighter/EMTs" and "Firefighter/Paramedics" along with increased pay for these postions. Doesn't mention FF's on Ambulances.

Well lots of things going on so keep a close eye on things.

SOC Battalion "Special Operations Battalion"  is no longer.. A New "Rescue Operations Battalion" will become effective 9/20/2004.  

Also in this weeks chief.  He made comments that in the future he sees "Firefighter/EMTs" and "Firefighter/Paramedics" along with increased pay for these postions.  Doesn't mention FF's on Ambulances.

Well lots of things going on so keep a close eye on things.

I wonder why the name change to "Rescue Ops Battalion???

Also, that Firefighter/Medic thing makes me go hmmmm.........

The FDNY*EMS system would likely need a major overhaul before they could even attempt something like that.

wonder why the name change to "Rescue Ops Battalion???

My thoughts on this is as follows

Old way:

SOC Bn

Marine Bn

Hazmat BN

New Way

Rescue Bn

Marine Bn

Hazmat Bn

Maybe in the future SOC Division Chief on Duty over the Bn's

Why the huge overhaul for FF/Paramedics?

The just need the right people in the right positions setting it up correctly, delivering it correctly and operating it correctly.

You can't get the right kind of people if you refuse to pay them the right kind of money! You get what you pay for.

Some more changes.

FDNY adding 10 new FDNY ALS tours, don't know about and BLS tours being cut.

They are making the Rockaway Medics 24hr units.

Adding Medic units in Queens, Bronx and Manhattan.

Manhattan will see it's first ALS unit in the Downtown area assigned to EMS Bn 4 and will cover the 4th Battalion (04X). This is the First City Medic unit in this area.

FDNY will be working on expanding ALS coverage in the City.

More changes. The chief of the newly created division 2 has decided that all captains now currently assigned to the Bronx command are to be relocated to different battalions. Unknown if this is citywide or just something special for us.

I'm assuming that the increase in ALS trucks represents an increase in the Paramedic staff. I know for a while that they were having trouble getting Medics, but with the FDNY EMS Academy (large) Paramedic class that just graduated, and another one in progress, the staffing issues probaly have been resolved.

Hopefully, the next FDNY update will bring us news that FDNY*EMS EMT's/Medic's will be getting a pay raise, and better shifts.