Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon FD Used To Do EMS?

5 posts in this topic

Awhile back, I'm talking 1997ish, Mount Vernon FD used to have a old Type II Van ambulance in MVFD colors.

I was told that in the late 70's/early 80's that Mount Vernon FD used to run the ambulance for the city?

Truth or fiction?

Awhile back, I'm talking 1997ish, Mount Vernon FD used to have a old Type II Van ambulance in MVFD colors.

I was told that in the late 70's/early 80's that Mount Vernon FD used to run the ambulance for the city?

Truth or fiction?

I know that when I started in MV EMS many moons ago, one of the ambulances was formerly assigned to the FD and still had a Federal Q and other adornments that you wouldn't see on a commerical ambulance. That was mid 1980's. I don't know if/when the FD stopped providing EMS but they definitely had an ambulance at one time.

I'm sure some of the other guys and girls from way back when can expand on this.

Edited by Chris192

That van was still around 3 years ago...actually came out on a fire and a vehicle accident with extrication...never knew what it was for though.

If I remember correctly, when Mt. Vernon Hospital got out of the ambulance business in the late '70's/early '80's, one commercial ambulance was contracted for by the City and FDMV ran the second ambulance. Several of the career men were EMT's and they were assigned to the bus. I think that it came out of Station II.

There was no increase in budgeted manpower positions to provide the ambulance service.

Edited by dadbo46

Rescue 2 was what it was called. Way back when.