Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Putting on the feedbag

4 posts in this topic

Although we do not do it as much as we used to in our firehouse, on a day like this where we have members standing by in quarters for an anticipated high call volume, we like to cook meals for the members to enjoy.

This serves several purposes: We have a ready supply of warm, rib-sticking nutrition that helps keep our members going; and it contributes to the fellowship and cameraderie of the fire service, an aspect I feel is important to the continued viability of the volunteer fire service.

In our house we have several "infamous" recipes, including "beard chili", and "goulash". Today I made a tuna noodle casserole for the crews, it's simple, easy to make, heary and filling. The recipe follows, but it would be great if others posted their favorite ways of feeding a crew so that they are happy, without breaking the bank.

Tuna Noodle Casserole:

4 lbs. pasta. I prefer Barilla Gemelli

4 big cans tuna

4 big cans cream of mushroom soup

2 cans mushroom pieces

1 big bag frozen mixed vegetables

8 cups grated cheese

Cook the pasta, a few minute before it is done throw the bag of mixed vegetables into the pasta water.

When the pasta is al dente drain and put back in the pot.

Throw in the tuna, the cream of mushroom soup, and the mushroom pieces, and stir it all up.

Get a big casserole or lasagna pan, and put half the tuna noodle mix in the pan. Sprinkle on a layer of half the cheese.

Put the rest of the tuna noodle mix in, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.

Put in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, until the cheese has melted.

I leave the casserole in a warm oven so any time someone wants a plate of it, its right there ready to go.

sounds good, maybe we should all post some of our favorite firehouse recipes for all to share and tryt

I have two,

Mommy Blue Eyes Macaroni Madness.

Feeds at least one Engine company crew.

One box Elbow Macaroni

One onion, diced

Celery, diced

Two to three cans of chunk light tuna.

Boil Macaroni till al dente. Drain and pour into large mixing bowl.

Add tuna, celery, onions.

Add three tablespoons of mayonaise.

Mix and let cool for approximately 45 minutes.

Serve.

Ok, now for my own recipe.

All Hands Additional Engine and Truck Chili. (not hot enough for two alarm)

Feeds 6-10 people.

Ingredients: 3 to four cans of tomato sauce. 1 1/2 pounds ground beef(turkey can also be used as a substitute). 2 cans of light kidney beans. 2 cans of dark kidney beans. 1 green pepper(diced), 1 onion(diced).

Brown ground beef over a skillet. Drain and pour into pot. Add tomato sauce. Add 4 to 5 table spoons of chili powder and mix. Open cans of beans and drain, or just pour them into the pot. The oil that the beans are in can't be that bad for you. Add a few teaspoons of garlic powder, or garlic salt. Add two teaspoons of Lawrys Seasoned Salt. Add in diced onion and green pepper. Mix again. Let simmer on medium to low heat for an hour, stirring the pot every ten minutes or so to keep it from burning. Add chili powder,garlic powder, onion powder and seasoned salt as necessary for desired taste. I also recommend two teaspoons of Hot Sauce to bring in a little extra heat. Let sit to cool for about ten minutes and serve.

I tend not to do accurate measurements, and most of my figures are eyeballing a la Rachael Ray. To kick this up to 2 alarm, I recommend two table spoons of crushed red pepper(the stuff you see in the pizza parlors), and a few more teaspoons of Hot Sauce. When I say hot sauce, I mean the regular stuff, not any of that stuff you have to sign a release form to buy.

To make it full 3 alarm chili, I recommend at least a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.

To reduce a little of the heat, take a couple of Hershey chocolate bars and melt them into the chili. Mix them in so you're not tasting beef and chocolate at the same time. They have a quality about them that reduces the spiciness. serve in bowls, with nachos on the side and shredded cheddar or taco blend cheese to top it off.

To all you chili fans out there. Try experimenting with fresh hot peppers. Different peppers have subtle flavors and burn you different ways (slow lingering burn, instant heat, back of the throat etc). A good rule of thumb, the smaller the pepper the hotter it is.