Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt728

Road Closures during storms

4 posts in this topic

Today, after last nights heavy storms, I took a ride on the Bronx River Parkway northbound right below Westchester. The river was running high, but not at the point of onto the highway. However, at 222nd st, the traffic stopped to inching along. After a very long wait, I finally got up to 233rd streed where NYPD Traffic was forcing everybody to exit. NYPD had also closed the Northbound entrance at 233rd. From what I can gather, the road had flooded directy over the border, right where it had flooded the last time we had a big storm.

Besides there being no radio coverage (but thats another gripe), I am upset that there was no warning and no attempt by any agency to close the road earlier than 233rd street. I realized the manpower involved, but it only takes one car, and there are only a few entrances that needed to be closed. With the BRP in Bronx, there are ample roads paralleling the highway, Webster Ave and Bronx Park East that can be used. If the highway is flooded, then it's flooded, why keep it open?? I would argue that keeping the ramps open creates a more dangerous situation than extra traffic on the streets: idiots backing up or going the wrong way on ramps: just asking for an MVA. (and indeed upon my return on the southbound side, there were people doing this on several ramps)

Even if PD cars can not be detailed to do this, are there other options for closure? Auxillary? DOT? Sanitation? Or, how much would it take to install a simple locking metal turn gate that could be closed and locked by PD for the duration of the closure?? How do other jurisdictions and states handle this?

So how far down do you want to close it? Its still usefull for getting from story to pelham pkwy. The closing was covered. heard about it on 1010 wins on my way home yestrday morning. Last thing, as a frequent traveler of that road I knew it was going to be closed, and I bet the mosholu was packed, the hutch was closed in Mt. Vernon, and that 95 would be wide open after that kind of rain. For the record 95 was smooth sailing and I was home 10 minutes later than normal.

The detoiur is put in so the least amount of traffic is disrupted. If you were going to get off at 233 street, why be forced off at Gun Hill road? Also. 233 will let you run across to 87 then you can take that to Central Ave and rejoin the Sprain in Westchester.

We have to think, why is it that the traffic posts even have to be manned? It's a waste of manpower, but if you didn't, some retard would drive around the barriers and you would have to do water rescues. Welcome to NY!!

1. I am aware of where the BRP runs, I think a clousure at Allerton would be the best bet. At that point all the Northbound options are accessible to motorists via Mosholou, Bronx Park East, or Wesbster Ave. To close it past Gun Hill where traffic already backs up b/c of the light is useless. BTW 95 might not be a viable option for everyone!

2. I agree traffic posts normally should be manned, but I also agree that in an emergency there could be a strain on manpower. I was not suggesting cones, but more of a lockng gate like on parks or parking lots, one that cannot be driven around or opened by the public. Unless you have a battering ram, you can't really argue w/ a solid metal gate across the road.

I understand the necessity to keep traffic flowing. Keeping a highway open is not an issue, so long as motorists are kept aware. Party, you say you heard on 1010 wins, fine, but I was on it and was listening the entire way up, no joy. When this happens and there are no electronic signs to give people options, thats when I'm suggesting an earlier closure. I think that if people had been aware they could only have gone to 233rd street there would have been signifigantly less traffic and the highway would have funtioned as a simple route from Story to 233rd as you are suggesting. Yes, I know the BRP can flood, and if I had known for sure I would have used an alternate route. I am simply trying to exlplore all sides of the issue and get to that point of easy traffic flow you are referring to.