Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

Career Firefighters: 24 or 10/14

12 posts in this topic

Just curious of the various career firefighter schedules out there. It seems the 10/14 and 24hr shifts are the most popular.

Which do you like and why?

If you work 24's, how is your system set up?

Are there other schedules out there?

I like 24's the best. We use to work the 3-10 hr day tours,3 days off -then 3- 14 hr nights. I never did well with the night schedule. Now 1 24 hr tour and it's over for three days then another 24. More time with the family. I have also heard of 3 days,3nights 6 off, or 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off,or 2 days ,2 off, 2 nights, 4 off. It depends on how many groups the department has.

Edited by drobison82

we work 24 on 24 off 24 on 5 days off, a neighboring department does 24 on 48 off 24 on 4 days off. Can't really complain about either one. I am familiar with what is called around here the "2-2-4" which is 2 days, 2 nights. 4 off and the 3 on 3 off. Neither are very appealing to me now that I work 24s. Another schedule that is popular, particularly on the west coast, is 48 on 96 off.

I work 24 on 48 off. I would love to go to 24/72. or even 48/96.

I don't understand why more depts don't go with 24's. Most guys prefer them and it saves the city money on OT.

We work 24 on 72 off. The old schedule was 3 days at 10 hours three off and three nights at 14 hours. It took me a while to adjust, but I prefer the 24 hour schedule.

I like 24's the best. We use to work the 3-10 hr day tours,3 days off -then 3- 14 hr nights. I never did well with the night schedule. Now 1 24 hr tour and it's over for three days then another 24. More time with the family. I have also heard of 3 days,3nights 6 off, or 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off,or 2 days ,2 off, 2 nights, 4 off. It depends on how many groups the department has.

Yeah definately second "tha Rock" 24's are the greatest.

Just curious of the various career firefighter schedules out there. It seems the 10/14 and 24hr shifts are the most popular.

Which do you like and why?

If you work 24's, how is your system set up?

Are there other schedules out there?

I think it also depends on the system volume. If you're doing a call every other hour the 24 hour day can get pretty old - especially if you pick up a real job in the 20th hour (or later!). rolleyes.gif

I think it also depends on the system volume.  If you're doing a call every other hour the 24 hour day can get pretty old - especially if you pick up a real job in the 20th hour (or later!).  rolleyes.gif

Absolutely, thats why I never got 48's and don't think that will ever come to my job. Back in the good old days of the 70's and 80's it wasn't uncommon for crews to get rotated out to a quiter area after a particularly long stretch of workers. There was a name for these types of relocations but it escapes me now.

We work 24/48. When I started it was great, we rarely did alot of night calls. Bu the EMS assigned guys now are getting beat up pretty bad. They rarely get more than a couple of hours sleep. Then they go home the first day and fel like crap, the second day is normal then the third they're back to work. Our guys rotate off and on the first due ambo for a month on and two off. We're trying to get a couple of over night EMS only people to take one guy per shift off the bus and put him on the engine. That leaves them better options for rotating on and off the ambo and the EMSer's only work 12 hr. shifts (3 days, 3 off, 3 nights, 3 off) We presentaly have one EMS only person on everyday to gain back a FFer during that 12 hrs.

I'd like to try the 48/96 as I know adding another shift is a pipe dream at this point.

TO PARTYROCK ------- THE MOVING BUSIER COMPANIES IN TO SLOWER AREAS FOR NIGHT OR PORTION OF THE NIGHT WAS CALLED INTERCHANGE

thanks. Such a technical term is apparently tough that early when you are just getting off.