Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBJ1202

New FDNY Engines

27 posts in this topic

Seagrave

Seagrave Fire Apparatus (SFA) employees from the engineering, manufacturing, sales and service departments, including CEO, Scott Mintier made up a 9-man team, which assembled in New York City this week with members of FDNY Management & Apparatus Committee and The Department of Citywide Administrative Service (DCAS) to kick-off preconstruction meetings on the recently awarded 69 Pumper order. 

FDNY is making the move to a "Split-Tilt" cab, so a new Marauder II Pumper was on site to be examined.  SFA will be specifically designing and incorporating some unique features to the existing all-stainless steel Marauder II to meet the department’s requirements.  A prototype unit is scheduled to be delivered before the end of the year.

Can't wait to see how they come out!

Edited by JBJ1202

They will be garbage like the ones we have now.

amen...and maybe they can make an aerial that won't sh!t the bed in five years...

What the hell happen to Seagrave? They use to be one of the best out there!

What the hell happen to Seagrave? They use to be one of the best out there!

maybe we can see FDNY experincing with some more Pierce's. Seagrave is still one of the best in my book. by the replies to this topic, i see that some people aint happy with the newer Seagrave's.

What is a split tilt cab ?, and will they be changing the seating arrangements on the new engs interms of the two men on each side facing each other

During my recent trip to the Seagrave factory There were some split tilts being built. What kind of problems do they have? is there any advantage to a split tilt cab?

Here's what I understand form a split tilt cab. The WHOLE cab WON'T tilt, but everything from the middle of the wheel well FORWARD WILL tilt. Also, the advantages to this is that you can check filters, fluids, etc. with increased access to the motor. So you can do minor motor repairs in house?

Mike

Ok guys, Split-tilt cabs have been out since the later 80's, hence Marauders and Commanders from Seagrave have this option and Pierce Lances area also split tilts. A split tilt for those who don't understand means the front half of the truck where the driver and officer sit tilts froward only to expose the engine and the back passenger compartment is fixed to the cab. Full-tilt is where the whole cab obviously tilts up to expose the engine.

FDNY has fixed cabs on the majority of their Seagrave, I think the exception are the towers with the single jacks on the front bumper, FDNY guys correct me if I'm wrong.

Izzy4Eng, FDNY had a few split cab seagrave pumpers, they had a shorter wheelbase and are now mostly used as spares. Engs 42, 45 in the Bronx had them not sure of total delivered. I believe they were 1993 year models. The only other split cabs were the single front jack towers, they were 1994 1995 models which are all spares as of now with recent deliveries of new towers. Single jacks were an experiment that failed, FDNY is back to the standard tower with 2 front jacks. Hope this helped

Mac8146 thanks for the correct info.

During my recent trip to the Seagrave factory There were some split tilts being built.  What kind of problems do they have? is there any advantage to a split tilt cab?

the advantages of a split-tilt chassis:

1. when you have a lower overall height station you can tilt the cab all the way and have it lock into a safe positon rather than working on motor, etc. when the cab isnt locked into place on a full-tilt. basically, its safer and easier to have a split-tilt cab if you have lower overall height stations. it makes it a whole bunch easier to maintenance your apparatus.

Izzy4Eng, FDNY had a few split cab seagrave pumpers, they had a shorter wheelbase and are now mostly used as spares. Engs 42, 45 in the Bronx had them not sure of total delivered. I believe they were 1993 year models. The only other split cabs were the single front jack towers, they were 1994 1995 models which are all spares as of now with recent deliveries of new towers. Single jacks were an experiment that failed, FDNY is back to the standard tower with 2 front jacks. Hope this helped

Engines 26, 54 and 58 also had those same style of pumper. Code 3 did a few replicas too.

Hope this helps!

-Joe DA BUFF

Little off topic but do most of the FDNY Rigs use the PA300 100 Watt Siren w/Tap II for the manual siren?

Thank You

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Little off topic but do most of the FDNY Rigs use the PA300 100 Watt Siren w/Tap II for the manual siren?

Thank You

all of the older rigs use the fedsig pa300. the new ones are being sent with the EQ2b siren which is the electronic version of the famous Q siren

Thank You

I hate to say this guys but I think that the only reason the FDNY has problems with their seagraves is because they are "bare-bones''. I dont mean they should have all sorts of bells and wistles, I mean they have one of the smallest engines in their rigs, the apparatus see alot of work and lets face it the roads down their are not the greatest which means alot of bumping around that can knock alot of things loose. I am one of the biggest pierce fans out there, I cant get enough of them but I think that even if the FDNY goes with pierce they will still have the same problems they do now, because if you talk to any fire truck mechanic or anyone who has been around fire trucks for a long time they will tell you that pierce and seagrave are the best, end of story. just my 2 cents. Any FDNY guys out there feel free to correct me.

Thank You

no prob

The split cabs are most likely for the ease of replacing the radiators that go every 6 months. Our brand new TL was out of service 2 hours after we got it because they put a fan on that was too big, needless to say after slamming the thing around with the jacks the fan hit the shroud and catastrophically failed at the Rock. Uncle Sal was not happy and 4 seagrave guys came and did some hasty modding of a instock fan to get us underway. 58 Engine had a split cab as did 25 truck, the difference was you all sat backwards, very odd seating.

NRFDTL11Buff, Little off topic but do most of the FDNY Rigs use the PA300 100 Watt Siren w/Tap II for the manual siren?

Federal Signal PA300 comes in 58/100/200 Watt Siren.

Most common in the 100 Watt.

I believe FDNY rigs (at least some of them) have 200 Watt units.

I know this because a few years back while riding with FDNY Rescue 2

we went to the shop and they put a new siren in because the old one died.

I know for a fact it was 200 Watts because I was like WOW! blink.gif

If you listen to FDNY rigs the pitch of the PA300 is slightly different

than others and some do appear to be louder.

I am a BIG fan of the PA300! biggrin.gif

I hate to say this guys but I think that the only reason the FDNY has problems with their seagraves is because they are "bare-bones''. I dont mean they should have all sorts of bells and wistles, I mean they have one of the smallest engines in their rigs, the apparatus see alot of work and lets face it the roads down their are not the greatest which means alot of bumping around that can knock alot of things loose. I am one of the biggest pierce fans out there, I cant get enough of them but I think that even if the FDNY goes with pierce they will still have the same problems they do now, because if you talk to any fire truck mechanic or anyone who has been around fire trucks for a long time they will tell you that pierce and seagrave are the best, end of story. just my 2 cents. Any FDNY guys out there feel free to correct me.

Its very simple why rigs can't hold up to the FDNY. Abuse and production quality. While they do cheap out with an under powered drive train the rigs fail because industry wide production standards have fallen. In an effort to remain competiitve and profitable rigs are packed with all these bells and whistles. More time is spent on systems like uniplex and independent front suspensions while to save a few bucks the frames are all pre-processed and wiring harnesses are all pre-run for any available option. You typical dept isn't going to notice the decrease in production standards because the rigs aren't abused or pushed to their limits on a regular basis. In NYC we hammer on our trucks. We bomb down poorly paved streets, run our pumps to their limits, and rack up operation hours and miles like there's no tomorrow. I would love to see an industry wide push back to the basics where a solidly build vehicle is more important than a new gizmo, but thats not going to happen. As a result I'll be riding around in unsafe relics for years to come.

BRING BACK THE MACKS!!!!! For as old as some of the CF TL's are in the spare pool, they're still doing the job at the ripe old age of 20, or more, in some cases.

Just an opinion.

Couldnt have said it better myself. you will always have things getting knocked loose and stuff falling apart with the everyday wear & tear regardless of the manufacturer. just my 2 cents.

Federal Signal PA300 comes in 58/100/200 Watt Siren.

Most common in the 100 Watt.

I believe FDNY rigs (at least some of them) have 200 Watt units.

I know this because a few years back while riding with FDNY Rescue 2

we went to the shop and they put a new siren in because the old one died.

I know for a fact it was 200 Watts because I was like WOW!  blink.gif

If you listen to FDNY rigs the pitch of the PA300 is slightly different

than others and some do appear to be louder.

I am a BIG fan of the PA300!  biggrin.gif

Thank You

Look at it this way...If I get the 2007 Tahoe LS its going to last just as long as the $10,000 more expensive LTZ. It is the same chasis and even the same assembly plant. With the up-grade I get leather, a bigger engine, heated 12 way seats, autoride suspension, and aluminum rims. Fact is the upgrade will probably cost more to maintain since there are more thngs that can break. What I'm getting at is the bells and whistles do not make a better vehicle. Only a better company.

How are the Ferrara Engines holding up?

How are the Ferrara Engines holding up?

i heard not very well. can anybody from the FDNY verify this?