Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

NY Tactical Medic EMS

37 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever heard of these guys/this program? I am really interested in attending. Wanted to see if anyone is affiliated, or what the whole deal is.

EMT-T

Tactical Medic Course

--------------------------------------------------------------------

TSP & Rt. 55

LaGrangeville, NY

Basic $350 - July 17th-19th

Advanced $250 - July 20th-21st

*up to $150 Discounts apply

***Both courses open to EMT's

& Law Enforcement.***

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Tactical EMS Association

www.nytemsa.org

Basic Tactical Medic

Tuesday, April 17th 2007 (0800-1700)

0800-0900 Course Registration, Check in, Waivers

0900-0930 History of Tactical Medicine & Intro to TEMS

0930-1000 "Care Under Fire"

1000-1030 Roll as a TEMS Provider (Armed vs. Un-Armed)

1030-1100 Tactical EMS vs. Street Care

1100-1200 TEMS BLS/ ALS Lecture

1300-1430 Crime Scene Awareness & Legal (NYSP)

1430-1500 TEMS Equipment Overview

1500-1700 Intro to Team Movement w/ Victim (Practical)

Wednesday, April 18th 2007 (0900-1700)

0900-0930 PT & Team Fitness

0930-1000 Developing a TEMS Team

1000-1200 TEMS BLS/ALS Skills (Practical)

1300-1500 Clan Lab Awareness & Scenarios (DEA)

1500-1600 Haz Mat/ IED/ WMD Medical Care

1600-1700 Various Weather & Rural

Environment Operations (OEC)

Thursday, April 19th 2007 (0900-1700)

0900-0930 PT warm-up

SWAT Call Out w/ TEMS Support.

Report to staging area in the Parking Lot

Advanced Tactical Medic

Friday, April 20th 2007 (0800-1700)

0800-0900 Course registration, check in, waivers

0900-0930 PT warm-up

0930-1100 D-TAC, Self Defense (MMA)

1100-1130 Less Than Lethal Ammunition

& Wound Care

1130-1200 OC Overview & Care

1300-1430 Advanced Team Movement w/Victim

1430-1530 Officer Down Lecture

1530-1700 VIP/ Executive Protection (Practical)

Saturday, April 21st 2007 (0900-1700)

0900-0930 PT warm-up

0930-1030 TEMS role in Crisis Negotiation

1030-1200 "K-9 Down, Medic up" BLS/ALS

1300-1400 Putting it all together!

BLS/ALS TEMS Skills & CasEvac

1400-1500 "Care Under Fire" &

Officer Down Drills (Practical)</B>

1500-1600 CISM / Line of Duty Death &

Team Moral

1600-1700 Future Planning & Class Debrief

& Networking

Schedule times and course content may change without notice for instructor coordination.

FAQ

Basic & Advanced Tactical Medic Course meets the 40 hour TEMS Course required by most Tactical Teams for a Tactical Medic. The term "Tactical Medic" doesn't imply the TEMS member is an ALS provider but designated as the "Medically Trained" Team Member.

Open to EMT & Paramedics?

Yes. The Basic means "intro", for EMS who are not currently applying or reporting to a Tactical Team.

Advanced is for those decided to apply to a team or currently on one.

EMT's & Paramedics will be divided to their skill level within the Class. NYTEMSA Training Staff?

NYTEMSA Association has been serving the TEMS Community since 2003. NYTEMSA staff consists of seasoned medical professionals from Military "Medics" such as Navy Combat Corpsman, Air Force Para-Rescue, Army SF Medics, Coast Guard Tactical & Air Rescue and Civilian Law Enforcement / SWAT Team Members. We also have Medical Control input from staff PA's & MD's with Tactical Experience. Our special guest instructors include NYSP, DEA & FBI units.

Discounts?

Receive up to $150 in discounts for both classes.

NYTEMSA "New York Tactical EMS" members receive a $50 discount to the first class. Email nytemsa@aol.com for an application. Also -$100 for an early paid registration 30 days prior to the course. If you miss that date, you can save $50 by sponsoring another student.

Credit Card?

Yes, NYTEMSA will send you a secured request by ww.paypal.com and you will get a receipt by email.

CME's?

This will be a decision of your CME Coordinator for elective, non-core CME's.

What are the uniform and equipment requirements?

For the Basic Course, you will be required to wear dark (black or blue) BDU/EMS type pants and dark shirt, BDU Type jacket, Boots, a non-ballistic training helmet and goggles. You will recieve an email with details. NYTEMSA Staff can assist you to find low cost alternatives.

Please email for any other questions.

Thank you,

NYTEMSA

nytemsa@aol.com

NYTEMSA Life Membership $100

Members receive Patch, Certificate of Membership and

$50 off next NYTEMSA sponsored Training.

Send Check, MO or Credit Card by www.Paypal.com use " nytemsa@aol.com ".

New York Tactical EMS

PO Box 411

Stanfordville, NY 12581

(845)849-8700

nytemsa@aol.com

Find us on MySpace.com!

Team Member of New York Tactical Officers Association

user posted image

I had contacted them about the April class. Very reputable, and they come highly recommended. I'm definitely going to be signing up for their July class.

Edited by 66Alpha1

What job's would open up with this cert.

What job's would open up with this cert.

Even not opening any jobs, I still think this would be an AWESOME class to take.

Not saying its not important, but I just think it would be cool.

I had contacted them about the April class. Very reputable, and they come highly recommended. I'm definitely going to be signing up for their July class.

66Alpha1, if I can scrounge together the fundage, I hope to join you there for the July class!!

Just as a side-note, up at the top of the description of the course, it gives that dates of July 17th-19th for the Basic, and the 20th-21st for the Advanced, yet a little farther down, by the hourly breakdown, it still lists the dates as being in April, so just adjust accordingly!!

Edited by xfirefighter484x

This will not particulary open any jobs but gives technical training of care in the tactical environment. Many of the students whom take the course are emt's and medics who are or will be assigned with a tac team. Even if your not it still doesn't hurt to gain additional training. Particulary with today's soceity of workplace violence and school shootings.

Edited by alsfirefighter

Up here in Orange County, Mobile Life Support Services EMS provides Tactical Medics for the City of Newburgh SWAT, Town of Newburgh SWAT and the Monroe-Harriman-Woodbury PDs REACT Teams.

They sent some of their medics to a TEMS Course a few years ago. They provide this service free of charge to these teams.

I think this class being discussed here is a good class for anyone to take because you never know what kind of situation can happen. You could go to a routine MHL job and it can turn ugly for the PD in a matter of seconds.

The original posting I made lists the dates for the upcoming classes as:

Basic - July 17th - 19th

Advanced - 20th - 21st

On the organizations website, it states

Tactical Medic - Basic

July 24th -26th

0800-1700

Tactical Medic - Advanced

July 27th - 28th

0800-1700

I am going to inquire further into this, and get the real dates, and pass along any other information I receive.

Thanks for all the info, and opinions on this so far. I REALLY hope to be able to take this class, Basic at the least, and maybe even the Advanced course!

Hope to see you there 484. I plan on helping with the course a couple of days.

I was thinking about taking the April class but didn't have the spare funds handy. Definitely can't take the July class as I'll be away. Hopefully they will hold a class later in the year.

Hope to see you there 484.  I plan on helping with the course a couple of days.

Hey ALS, I sent an e-mail to the address listed on the site http://www.nytemsa.org on the 7th, and I haven't heard anything back. Maybe, if its not asking too much, can you try and find out the dates through your contacts, that the course will actually take place, because there is a conflicting report on 2 different places I found the info.

Contact New York Tactical EMS on EMTBravo, also just talked with the leader of the org and he showed me some videos pretty cool stuff, only thing is no one in Dutchess County recognizes the certification yet, I believe Alamo and City of Poughkeepsie PD are looking into getting a Tactical EMS Team of some sort.

Edited by SPFC56-233

Updated course dates:

Basic $350 - July 24th-26th

Advanced $250 - July 27th-28th

*up to $150 Discounts apply

Both courses open to experienced EMT's & Law Enforcement.

484... You beat me too it, I was just getting ready to post the dates when I scrolled down.

484... You beat me too it, I was just getting ready to post the dates when I scrolled down.

Haha, sorry ALS. right after SPFC's post, I found and IMed NYTEMSA on AIM, and got all the down and dirty details!!

Thank you for your valiant effort though, its much appreciated!!!

LOL. Well I hope to see you then.

Doesn't Erin Clancy from Stanfordville have something to do with this?

Clancy is the head of it as told from his mouth...

Just signed up for it today, both the Basic and the Advanced courses. 66Alpha1, can't wait to meet you, and ALS, can't wait to see you again (if you even ever remember meeting me, lol), as well as anyone else who ends up taking this course/these courses!!

I'll be paying tomorrow (hopefully, if i can afford the 550 bucks!). Just out of curiosity anyone attending or maybe ALS can help me out. As far as what to bring...uniform is not an issue...but:

I have a k-pot from a cousin, knee pads and flight gloves, should i bother?

I have a camelbak, i figure ill bring it.

I don't have those nifty ESS goggles or ear protection (will those foam ear plugs do?).

And as far as a trauma kit...are they talking a boo-boo bag or a full loaded legitmate trauma kit? Because there aint no way i'm gonna have the money to purchase one after the 550 dollar expense tongue.gif

When I contacted NYTEMSA, they included the basic "kit" for both classes, for an additional $150. Don't know if that was a good price or not, but whatever, i threw down for it too.

I don't have a "boo-boo bag" or trauma kit either. I hope the additional $150 covers it all, because in the e-mail, they said "It is all the minimum requirement of gear for both classes."

So here's hoping!

The email i got back from them was a paypal thing, it includes the the classes and the membership fees so i guess that the kit is part of the class. *crosses fingers*

The email i got back from them was a paypal thing, it includes the the classes and the membership fees so i guess that the kit is part of the class. *crosses fingers*

No, I used the paypal thing, and initially it was $550, but they asked if I would need the basic kit, which is an additional $150.

Hey guys. The kit they are talkiing about is a drop leg personal trauma kit. You can get them through galls or blackhawk as well as on ebay new for around $50. I'm using a training helmet thats non-ballistic and foam ear plugs. Knee pads are up to you but I would recommend gloves.

I would rate the knee pads above any gloves. You will be on your knees/bellies, elbows quite a bit. Medical gloves are good idea being there is fake blood/moulage usage that can stain your skin a bit. Camelback..you will suck water. Foam ear plugs are fine...just have more then one pair though incase you drop them or lose them.

Drop down leg pouch is a good idea if you don't have a vest. They are a good resource to use in even regular field use.

Helmet...good idea for training usage. If you can't find one you might be able to get a class mate to allow you borrow theirs for evolutions. Check with your companies you work for to see if they can assist you in borrowing one through a PD agency they have good relations with. If you don't work for one and have friends or a good relationship with your local PD contact them, explain what you are doing, tell them its just for personal advancement and just ask if you can borrow one and you will bring it back.

On a personal basis...I wear ESS goggles that have the interchangable clear and gray tinted lenses. For me they are the most comfortable. They are not all that expensive to buy as one kit from ESS or another company directly. I got the 2 lens kit (you can get the 3 with the yellow also, but I only have worn that tint on the range). It comes with a protective case..2 anti-fog cleaning cloths and a strap.

If you want to wear gloves...so be it. However my experience has been fingerless is the best. 1. you're gonna want to wear standard precautions under them, because they will absorb blood/fluids. I've found even the "impervious, waterproof" ones don't hold up well in regard to moderate to large amount of blood and do not wash well once contaminated. 2. There are things you will have to learn to assess and treat by touch. Some things you do on the street are out the window in the tactical environment.

Couldn't tell you bro, first I've heard of it. Don't know if Erin added something...you'll have to contact him.

Couldn't tell you bro, first I've heard of it.  Don't know if Erin added something...you'll have to contact him.

Ok, I will probably give him a call on Monday, see what the real deal is!

Thanks for you help tho.

I was told the $150 kit included a helmet, personal trauma kit, and pads.

I was told the $150 kit included a helmet, personal trauma kit, and pads.

Ok, so at the least I will be moderately prepared for the first day, having the basics.

Whats the schoop with hydration packs? Are they worth it? How much would one of these Camelpack/Blackhawks cost? From what ALS said in another post, it is a wise choice, since you will be sucking down H2O.

And, where can you find them the cheapest?

Edited by xfirefighter484x