Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

NYPD Vehicle Emergency Lights

12 posts in this topic

Was in Chinatown yesterday and saw a Queens North Task Force (QNTF right?) van parked on Mott St. with a Fed Sig Vista all LED light bar. First time I saw this series light bar...anyone know if they are any good???? I know that the troopers have the LED bottom bar now, but LED's where the rotators are was new to me at least for that light bar. NYPD unit 5578 was unit I saw. No pics though.

I have yet to see one close up, but I hear they are Federal's attempt to keep their NYPD contract. Then again I heard this from a Whelen rep.

I looks like they took out the rotators and put in LED's. They have them in the VISTA on some vans and VECTORS on some HWY units.

I'm glad we use the Whelen liberty on our new cruisers.

post-6632-1181397510.jpg

post-6632-1181397539.jpg

A lot of the NYPD Traffic and NYPD School Safety cars have the

Federal Signal Vista lightbars on the Chevy Impalas.

I have not seen any of the Federal Signal Vista lightbars on

NYPD Police cars.

The Vector LED lightbars do look pretty cool. biggrin.gif

I don't know if I'm much help here cause I really don't know model names with the light bars, but NYPD RMP's are also using LED's in their light bars. They just don't look right. I prefer the rotators.

Edited by partyrock

Caught this Highway car a couple of weeks ago at Floyld Bennett Field a couple of weeks ago

post-3609-1181413903.jpg

Caught this Highway car a couple of weeks ago at Floyld Bennett Field a couple of weeks ago

NjMedic.. that is the Vector. Older bars had halogen lightbulbs. New ones look the same, but with LED's inside the pods.

Here is a link to Federal Signal's page : http://www.fedsig.com/industry_solutions/l...ghts_Sirens.pdf

Edited by grumpyff

The red pods are LED's and the white ones are rotators. They don't look that bad and stay in that sweeping sequence.

Maybe on of you guys could explain to me how those white rotators work at the spotlight. Does it rotate around until it gets to point where they want it or can it be more precisely controlled?

Maybe on of you guys could explain to me how those white rotators work at the spotlight.  Does it rotate around until it gets to point where they want it or can it be more precisely controlled?

There are buttons on the control panel that 'jog' the lights 360 degrees and there are also three separate buttons that will send the lights directly to the 'left', 'right' and 'takedown' positions.

I think they are called "Smart Intersections"...the original Cortlandt Medic Suburbans had them with the controls...they would go from side to side until you directed them to point in a certain direction. Not 360 though, more like 180...You could use it as an alley or a take down or move it like the hand light in police cars on the doors and point it to see address numbers. Always thought it was a great idea but then if you needed both the alley and take down on you were S.O.L....LOL

The light bars the NYPD uses are actually the Vision line, not the vector. The clear rotators are “driven” by stepper motors, which are controlled by a computer brain in the light bar so it knows which way the rotator is facing at all times. Therefore the brain can control it to face, rotate, or sweep in any direction set by the program. The older bars all 7 “pod” were that way.

They look pretty nice if your going to stay with the Vector Light bars.