Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

My Mysterious New Pierce Ladder sighting in Mount Kisco?????

20 posts in this topic

So, I'm swapping my gear into another car while at work this evening, and I hear the familiar sound of a fire truck approacing. It was on 117 (E Main St/Mount Kisco) by NW Hospital going North on 117. I did the usual wave thing, not even paying close attention to who it was, and look up, and realize it's a BEAUTIFUL AWESOME Pierce Dash 100' Rear Mount with NO pump and red, with goldleaf and scotchlite and a big "Pierce Perform Like No Other" sign on the ladderboard.

The rig was HOT! From what I could tell, it was a demo. It was one of the nicest ladder trucks I have ever seen.

So, shortly thereafter I drove around Mount Kisco, Green Street and all, hoping I could check it out up close, but could not find it. I figured Mount Kisco was going to be checking it out, since I've heard rumors they are looking at new ladders. But it's wasn't anywhere to be found. I can't figure out where it was going/where it was coming from. Nobody in the corridor the ladder was in is getting a new Ladder anytime soon, much less a straight stick?

Can anyone help?

The truck was headed to Katonah. They are really interested in a new tanker, but the saleman wanted to show them the new Tak 4 independant front suspension set up that Pierce offers. The next day the Truck was headed to White Plains Fire, as they are in the market for a new truck.

Thanks for the info! Seems like it would make a GREAT Ladder for White Plains, except for the Dash chasis, lol.

x635,

Yorktown was also talk to the sales person but when we told him our height we needed, he told us to Build a new building or cut the opening. Well the opening is as big as it gets and we all know about a new FH in Yorktown.

Besides it's a Pierce. If it was up to me i would give our last one (275) away.

x635,

Yorktown was also talk to the sales person but when we told him our height we needed, he told us to Build a new building or cut the opening. Well the opening is as big as it gets and we all know about a new FH in Yorktown.   

Besides it's a Pierce. If it was up to me i would give  our last one (275) away.

As I always say, you should never have to build a truck to fit the firehouse structure. :sad:

hooks are looking for a new ladder. they have demo's coming in and out of mt. kisco. they will most likely go with a sutphen but only time will tell.a new light rescue is also on it's way to replace rescue 31. mutual and i.f.co are also looking to replace an engine each with most likely pierce. there is still work being done on all these committies and things may change but when you have something that works it's hard to change other opinions. :wink:

Firetrucks fixed, again, maybe

ANTHONY SPINELLI

SHELTON Shelton's repeatedly malfunctioning new firetrucks are fixed - for sure this time - and ready for service, a Pierce Manufacturing executive assured the Board of Fire Commissioners Wednesday.

About a dozen firefighters attended the special session at City Hall, where Mike Schoenberger, Pierce's vice president of aftermarket sales, declared the $1.4 million worth of pumpers fit for duty.

Similar assurances were issued two weeks ago, but one of the trucks failed a few days later. The problems first surfaced some four months ago and have defied solution since.

Schoenberger also apologized for the trouble experienced with the four trucks, which have been intermittently losing engine power while on emergency calls.

Schoenberger and other representatives from the Appleton, Wis., company came to Shelton to resolve the recurring problem. The trucks were delivered last April.

Teams of workers from Pierce, which made the trucks, Cummins Engines, Alison Transmissions and FireMatic, a truck dealer, worked on the engines with computer testing equipment, recalibrated the engines and replaced various components.

The trucks could go back in service now, but Fire Chief John Millo and fire commissioners demanded that an

independent group test the vehicles, including when they are pumping water.

Those tests will be performed and the trucks will be back in service by Nov. 27, said Robert J. Araujo, chairman of the fire commissioners.

If the trucks are not delivered by then, or appropriate extensions have been made, Araujo said he will go to the town attorney to resolve the problem legally.

"The problem is unacceptable. Any interruption of service is zero tolerable," Millo said.

"It's resolved, that's the bottom line," Schoenberger said, and apologized to the firefighters for the frequent problems.

Anthony Spinelli, who covers the Naugatuck Valley, can be reached at 736-5440.

November 18, 2004

Back to Document List

Copyright © 2004 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy

"Sutphen Sucks" is a common phrase heard around my job. IMO, there are many ladders that are better quality. I have been on several ladders that perform better than our TL. Again, this is just my opinion. Also, we have purchased "base models" of all of our equipment, but if they are any example of the "fully loaded" versions, then I would recommend staying away.

course we all have our opinions and we can sometimes choose what we like, but sometimes things are just given to us to like or dislike. my point being is that all trucks may have there own set of problems you can get a lemon in no matter what truck you buy. what seems to work in mount kisco is just that. sutphen seams to work when we need it and the people who have to use it are proud of it and i think that's what we have to stand on. on the other hand what is so bad with pierce? it seams more and more we hear horror stories. if you can let me know before we make our purchase! our next purchase will be for 2 new engines. one at i.f.co. and one at mutual and we haven't had any problems that were irregular that would make us go elsewere. the ones we have are holding up pretty good. please! no hard fellings, we all have our own prefferrances. if you do have good info please let us know.

mrbolz -

in port chester, all of our apparatus is pierce except for the 2 ladder trucks(one sutphen and one seagrave and e-61 is a seagrave). my rig is a 1999 Pierce Lance and the only problem we've had with it is some paint peeling off the cab. no mechanical difficulties.

ya, in hartsdlae we have twin 2000 pierce Dash's they are great engines and i knwo we will be in the market for a replacement for engine 171 in the next few years and its pretty safe to assume that you will see a 3rd pierce in hartsdale. now rumor has it 170 may become 171 because of the increased work that engine see;s over 169, but bottom line is i have no complaints oce our pierce's

ya, in hartsdale we have twin 2000 pierce Dash's they are great engines and i knwo we will be in the market for a replacement for engine 171 in the next few years and its pretty safe to assume that you will see a 3rd pierce in hartsdale. now rumor has it 170 may become 171 because of the increased work that engine see;s over 169, but bottom line is i have no complaints oce our pierce's

75' RM Quint! 75' RM Quint!

How about something that protects the rest of us, not just the apartment buildings on East Hartsdale ave???

Swedeland VFC of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania operates this spot-less 1988 Pierce Lance Rescue Pumper. this is my companys truck. there is nothing wrong with this truck. in 2003 it won Pennsylvania State Champs award from the 2003 Pennsylvania State Firemens Convention.

www.freewebs.com/swedelandvfc/apparatus.htm

Sorry about that!!!

www.freewebs.com/swedelandvfc/apparatus.htm

Scroll down to SQUAD 48

Im quite a fan of the old school Macks, such as Eng. 104

M

A

C

K

MACK

MACK

MACK

DAMN, I'M GONNA MISS OURS....

My son - like I am not gonna miss it. I have been with it since it was just words on paper, hell I still miss the 62, now get over it my boy, the new 119 will be just as great besides if one of us hits lotto we can buy it and we can rename it "That F*****G FAmily!!!

I agree, I miss the 62 also. I think everyone will miss the

84. But the new one will out-do them all, sometimes you

need to give up a great thing to get a great thing .

And the 84 was never refurbed its called taking pride.

I must say that Engine 119's Mack is a sweet looking truck it reminds me of our 75 Mack we had at Centennial Hose Eng.130 Peekskill FD ours was originally Lime Yellow then we had it refurbished about 10 or more years later and they changed the color to White over Red almost identical to 119's truck.

Welll put Gerry well put. So what will the new 119 be? Seagrave?