Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CG206

Antique Apparatus

6 posts in this topic

In Mohegan, we are currently looking into restoring our "pride of the fleet", our 1941 Mack. What are some opinions about restoring antique apparatus vs original condition?

I suppose the way I view it is like this, old faithful gave her all for the community for many, many years.... obviously you kept her a good reason, old rigs with no sentimental value aren't keep around, so obviosly this truck means something to your department..... the point that I am trying to make is this, that if the department has the interest, and the warewithall to do a complete restoration, it should be done...... talk some with the crew from Bedford Hills FD, they just had their '28 Buffulo pumper restored (completely), I'll ask some of the guys at my house about it as well.... we have a '28 ALF that was completely rebuilt about 15 years ago..... and see what kind of advise they can give, I'll pass it along...... but seriously, nothing looks sharper than a beautifully maintained antique fire engine (in my opinion: )

The end result is going to be a full restoration. The problem right now is a place that will restore it and of course....$$$$$.

Better underline money. We retook possesion of one of our engines from the 20's about 2 years ago. Putting it back in shape has taken a great deal of money and manpower. As of today, it's still not capable of running on it's own. While we feel it will be a great PR tool in the future, it has been a slow laborous journey thus far. Be sure that your membership has the time and knowledge to embark on an ambitious renovation project first.

but sometimes you shouldnt try to restore something like that in house you should have someone that know's about the old trucks restore them have a fund raiser or see if your company has the money because sometimes you create your own problems in house

The Millwood Fire Dept did an excellent in house restoration of their 1924 brockaway torpedo some years ago. The antique was then damaged when the truck carrying it was involved in an MVA, once again the company restored the rig itself, with expenses paid for by donations. this all occured 25+ years ago. They are an excellent example of a dept putting their own elbow grease into a restoration they all were proud of. In my opinion this antique is one of the best in the county, and the pride of the company towards their 1924 engine is unmatched.