Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Dispatcher418

Hybrid vehicles accidents

11 posts in this topic

I attended a seminar on hybrid vehicles a while back. I heard stories of hybrid cars re-starting after the driver had turned the vehicle off. i also heard that they tend to just drive away if the car is not stabalized, and that it is very difficult to tell if the vehicle is running. to me, this sounds like a firefighters worst PIAA nightmare.

do any departments have SOPs dealing with hybrid vehicles?

any tricks or tips in dealing with hybrids?

are there any steps with extrication that would not be done with a hybrid vehicle?

has anybody delt with a hybrid accident before?

I attended a seminar on hybrid vehicles a while back. I heard stories of hybrid cars re-starting after the driver had turned the vehicle off. i also heard that they tend to just drive away if the car is not stabalized, and that it is very difficult to tell if the vehicle is running. to me, this sounds like a firefighters worst PIAA nightmare.

do any departments have SOPs dealing with hybrid vehicles?

any tricks or tips in dealing with hybrids?

are there any steps with extrication that would not be done with a hybrid vehicle?

has anybody delt with a hybrid accident before?

Step 1. Kill power.

2. Disconnect battery and/or electrical items in electrical outlets in the cabin.

3. Extricate victim.

4. Make sure you don't get yourself shocked.

I'd call that some good thoughts.

Mike

Step 1. Kill power.

2. Disconnect battery and/or electrical items in electrical outlets in the cabin.

3. Extricate victim.

4. Make sure you don't get yourself shocked.

I'd call that some good thoughts.

Mike

Only disconect the regular car battery, not the "bank" of batterys that drive the car. Stay away from the bright orange power cable.

haha neary, very funny...

Edited by MFVFD179

Many new hybrids and even non-hybrids have the "push button" starter and "smart" keys. These keys can stay in the pockets of the user, and the car will still start without the key. The can recognize the keys up to 20 feet away. So you'd also want to make sure you find the key on the person or in the car and make sure it's at least 20 feet away while you're working on the car.

Smart keys are not just for hybrids! Many cars that cost a lot of money have them also!

Watch where you put your cribbing, the main power cord (orange) is somtimes below the door on the driver side pending on the car make.

when a hybrid is involved in an accident, my department puts a cone on each side of the vehicle and 1 on top, so it signifies that it is a hybrid for those who arrive on scene. we were told never to stand in front or behind the car until we know for sure that the entire car is off, gas and electric. we do not extricate or touch the car (even if pt is in serious condition) until we know the power of the car is completely off and that it is safe to continue what we need to do.

I've never actually been to a scene with a hybrid involved in an accident, but I have been told that it may take several minutes for the car to completely power down. Does anyone know how long it takes and is it different for each car? Would it take longer to shut down if the car has been on longer?

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you kidding me Rob when you get to the fd sunday we gotta talk lol

Where to begin...First, I suggest your dept pick up the holmatro extrication guide. Its extremely thorough and the best one I've seen on the market. It shows you all the hazards and how to best mitigate them.

A hybrid is still just a car. Every car is dangerous, has no cut areas, etc. Hybrids just happen to have a few things unique to them.

With any car find the keys and remove them. Keep an eye on the gagues. Electric motors must have some indicator on the dash that they are running (amp meter, idiot light).

Chock your tires. First thing you should be doing while the pt is being assesed is chock the tires.

Crib your hybrid just like you would crib any car. Cribbing will have no affect on the power system of the car. With cutting you need to be careful and watch for the orange wires.

Expose the steel before you cut. Strip out as much molding and material from the interior as you can so that you might find some of the hidden hazards.

Hybrids aren't the only cars you need to watch where you cut. pre-tensioning systems, airbag propellant cartridges, airbag deployment sensors, fuel lines, brake lines, the list goes on. These are found in every car being put on the road today. Then we also have special gifts like CNG, LPG, and hydrogen powered cars. Those fuels have to find a way to the engine somehow, and it may just be through the rocker panel.

Be careful and practice. Check out Ron Moore's articles and talk to local dealers. They can at least give you look at these cars before they're mangled.

I've attended a few "car down the boat ramp" calls, and wonder if hybrids will still be able to run electrically under water. Any ideas?

Just as an FYI to everyone who may be interested. Millwood FD is planning on hosting a seminar on hybrid vehicles / new vehicle technology probably in mid Oct. and will address many of the questions, issues, and concerns raised here. I will post more details and dates when they are available.