Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tunnel Boring Machine Arrives For GCT Project

7 posts in this topic

One more step closer to bringing LIRR to GCT!

Massive Tunnel Boring Machine Arrives

$10 Million, 200 Ton Equipment Will Dig Tunnel to Provide LIRR Access to Grand Central

The MTA's East Side Access project - which brings Long Island Rail Road trains into Grand Central Terminal - reached another milestone on Saturday when a Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) completed its journey from Italy and arrived on U.S. shores. East Side Access is a $6.3 billion project that will provide access to Grand Central Terminal for Long Island Rail Road commuters. When complete in 2013, East Side Access will serve approximately 160,000 customers a day.

The 200 ton TBM was tested outside of Rome, Italy last month and then disassembled. The cutter head and largest components were shipped by boat in pieces. Its trailing gear and the smaller components that make up the rest of the machine will arrive separately later this month. The largest components arrived at Red Hook, N.Y., Saturday. Once the shipment has cleared customs, the pieces will be taken by truckload to Long Island City, Queens, where they will be lowered into the 63rd Street tunnel via a massive excavation. The pieces will then be transported through the tunnel, under the East River, to a "launch box" under 63rd Street and 2nd Avenue. The TBM will be assembled in the launch box and will begin digging its way toward Grand Central later this summer. A second TBM will arrive later this year to dig a second tube for the project.

The bi-level 63rd Street tunnel was constructed starting in 1969, designed to carry both subway and commuter rail trains. Due to budget shortfalls, the tunnel remained unused until 1989, when F train service was routed through the tunnel's upper level to 63rd Street and Lexington Avenue. The lower level currently terminates at 63rd Street and 2nd Avenue, where the TBM will pick up shortly to begin boring toward Grand Central. Connecting tunnels will be completed in Queens to link the tunnel to the LIRR's Main Line and Port Washington branch tracks.

The project will have a number of significant regional transportation benefits, including:

Reducing Penn Station train arrivals while increasing LIRR Manhattan arrivals by 41 percent

Reducing pedestrian crowding in Penn Station

Eliminating standees on the LIRR between Jamaica and Penn Station

Improving the reliability of train service

Reducing crowding on the subway lines that use Penn Station and the No. 7 line

Reducing daily vehicle miles of travel in the region and improving air quality

Allowing for Metro-North Railroad service to Penn Station, thereby providing for a more balanced transportation system

Providing convenient access between the east side of Manhattan and JFK International Airport (via the AirTrain at Jamaica)

Supporting local and regional land use and economic development patterns.

Okay. I gotta ask. WHY did they ship it all the way up to Red Hook?

That would be Red Hook section of Bklyn, NYC. It is a NYC port of entry.

Edited by Oswegowind

Now THAT makes more sense. Thanks. (Can you tell I don't get over to that side of the east river often? smile.gif )

Edited by WAS967

Now THAT makes more sense. Thanks. (Can you tell I don't get over to that side of the east river often? smile.gif )

Don't feel bad, I thought the same thing at first before I remembered the "other" Red Hook!

I think it has to get here first, and then be assembled cause it comes in pieces...but assembly will take place underground in the started section of the tunnel.