Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Cops writing Cops Family Members

49 posts in this topic

Is that true that NYSP love to give NYPD personnel tickets, despite the rank?

Whatever happened to the camaderie that was once felt on the job...

BFD you are in MYRTLE BEACH? I went to the Police Academy with a former member of the Myrlte Beach PD. He is a great guy although we don't see each other that much. He gave me great advice when I travel down there to join the FOP. I did and have not had any problems. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Is that true that NYSP love to give NYPD personnel tickets, despite the rank?

Whatever happened to the camaderie that was once felt on the job...

Not true. I have been stopped a few times by NYSP for traffic infractions while eagerly on my way home at night and never had a problem. I always make sure to show them courtesy by apologizing for basically wasting their time, and pretty much every off duty encounter I've had with State Police has been cordial.

Edited by JJB531

Isn't a motorist legally entitled to this info and to see the radar gun?

First off the radar doesn't record the speed so showing the motorist the radar is of little to no use to them. Second, at least on the parkways, there's a major safety issue with having people wandering around on the side of the road to "look at the radar".

If someone wants to challenge the accuracy of the radar unit, the place for that is court (hopefully on overtime) not on the side of the road. The only thing you're legally entitled to is my autograph! :lol:

As for requesting a supporting deposition upsetting some cops - maybe, maybe not. It really isn't that big a deal (to me anyhow).

BFD you are in MYRTLE BEACH? I went to the Police Academy with a former member of the Myrlte Beach PD. He is a great guy although we don't see each other that much. He gave me great advice when I travel down there to join the FOP. I did and have not had any problems. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Yea i live in Myrtle Beach and I am a member of the FOP, although the FOP and SCLEOA card did not work for my wife she got aticket for doing 55 in a 40 on the road behing our home.

Just a quick question. I'm not a cop, so I dont know about these things. But, where is the line drawn as far as these "Friends and Family" cards that you all have been talking about? For that matter, what infraction would get you to ticket an officer as well. I'm curious, because if I read the original post correctly, the woman was doing at least 20 miles over the speed limit and had a headlight out. Now I know the headlight is relatively minor, but 20 miles over the speed limit is alot. I don't know if the OP stated what kind of road he was on, but around here, the speed limit is 35 on Route 1. And 20 miles over woudl be 55, and that is definitely a bit excessive, and would be a sizable fine.

So, i guess the question would be what do these friends and family have to do to get a ticket? Assuming they are repsectful, and comply as they should. And when would you give a police officer a ticket?

Thanks

So, i guess the question would be what do these friends and family have to do to get a ticket? Assuming they are repsectful, and comply as they should. And when would you give a police officer a ticket?

Thanks

Never. I may depend on that same police officer to save my rear one day.

Edited by JJB531

So here's another story from yesterday. I don't usually work days but this week is crazy so I had to swap. Anyway I was assigned to do radar and not even 5 min after setting up I get a 54/30. I stop the guy and he immedialtley was a prick. I ask for his license and registration and he hands me his license and throws out a name of a SGT that just retired from my job. Funny thing is he says the wrong name. I told him I don't know who that is although I knew who he meant. He couldn't find the Reg and he was saying sh*t under his breath. He was like don't worry I'll call him. I wasn't sure if I was going to write him but I said f*ck it and ran his license. He came back REVOKED and his Abstract had like 50 prior suspensions dating back to 2004 for Insurance problems. I called my ex-SGT and told him what was going on. He didn't even know the guy so I locked him up. He was still a prick the whole time.

Has that ever happened to anyone where somebody mentions the name of a person that you know well and they don't even know the right name or that the person retired. That made my day because he was a prick.

I was once accused by a NYS Trooper of lying about my contacts on the force. This was years ago, so I dont remember the exact situation, but my badge meant nothing to him. So then, I respectfully (yes, I was in fact very respectful) and somewhat jokingly (not sure if thats a word), said to the cop, "Would it help me at all if I told you my brother in law is a cop and I showed you my PBA card???" He just stared at me, asked for the card, looked at it and gave it back to me and cruelly said, "How do I know you didnt steal this card and write your name on it?"

That was a rough day...

I was once accused by a NYS Trooper of lying about my contacts on the force. This was years ago, so I dont remember the exact situation, but my badge meant nothing to him. So then, I respectfully (yes, I was in fact very respectful) and somewhat jokingly (not sure if thats a word), said to the cop, "Would it help me at all if I told you my brother in law is a cop and I showed you my PBA card???" He just stared at me, asked for the card, looked at it and gave it back to me and cruelly said, "How do I know you didnt steal this card and write your name on it?"

That was a rough day...

By your badge, did you mean your FD badge? I'm not sticking up for the trooper or saying you did anything wrong, but working a radar unit in NYC, I come across 2 dozen PBA cards a night, half of which are bogus. They were either found or purchased on EBay. If courtesy is going to be extended to a motorist, I want to make sure that they deserve it. Plus it's annoying for a police officer having to leave a hiding spot to stop a car, only to find out they have a PBA card, especially when it happens multiple times a night.

By your badge, did you mean your FD badge? I'm not sticking up for the trooper or saying you did anything wrong, but working a radar unit in NYC, I come across 2 dozen PBA cards a night, half of which are bogus. They were either found or purchased on EBay. If courtesy is going to be extended to a motorist, I want to make sure that they deserve it. Plus it's annoying for a police officer having to leave a hiding spot to stop a car, only to find out they have a PBA card, especially when it happens multiple times a night.

Yes my FD badge.

I understand that PO's always come across the PBA cards, and I feel for you guys. I really do!!! I really do have family members on the PD job, and I hear about it all the time, and I have the utmost respect for you guys who do it. And I will always leave it the PO to make the decision...I wont fight him on it. But dont take this the wrong way, its really not my problem that you come across dozens of PBA cards a night. As much of a pain as that can be for you guys, I dont feel that I'll ever deserve the cruel treatment from that trooper. I dont personally give out these cards obviously, and dont keep count of how many people driving near me that night have one. I will ALWAYS extend the proper courtesy to the PO, and if I get a ticket, I'll take it no problem. Its only natural to use what I got ,to see if he's kind enough to spare me. Mine werent purchased, or found or stolen. It was given by a law enforcer, signed it and wrote my name with his hand writing. I didnt exactly get a receipt, haha!

But again, I understand why it bothers you. I understand that it feels like it undermines your authority. Thats why I extend all the courtesy in the world to you when I have to...but I felt the attitude that night was a little uncalled for, and I dont know why it was so unacceptable for him to extend some courtesy back.

Either way, be safe out there. Those PBA cards are a pain, but I'm sure you guys make the best decisions to determine who's legit and who's full of it!

Has that ever happened to anyone where somebody mentions the name of a person that you know well and they don't even know the right name or that the person retired. That made my day because he was a prick.

Something similar happened in Yks recently except the idiot asked the cop if it would help if he knew a specific cop...just happened to be the same guy standing in the window. The cop told him to get the cop (himself) on the phone and he would work it out...of course the guy couldn't get him cause he didn't really know him...we had a lot of fun with this on YPD 2...Needless to say he got the ticket and a formal introduction to his so called friend!

Something similar happened in Yks recently except the idiot asked the cop if it would help if he knew a specific cop...just happened to be the same guy standing in the window. The cop told him to get the cop (himself) on the phone and he would work it out...of course the guy couldn't get him cause he didn't really know him...we had a lot of fun with this on YPD 2...Needless to say he got the ticket and a formal introduction to his so called friend!

It had to be a matter of time before we heard of one of these. Now that's funny. Stupid guy, you should only get a PBA card if you have a relative or close friend that works as a cop. (friends should only get them if the 2 are like brothers. Immediate family only otherwise.)

Must have been HILARIOUS on the radio. I would've liked to have heard that!

Mike

yeah, he asked me if he was working...hahahaha

So here's another story from yesterday. I don't usually work days but this week is crazy so I had to swap. Anyway I was assigned to do radar and not even 5 min after setting up I get a 54/30. I stop the guy and he immedialtley was a prick. I ask for his license and registration and he hands me his license and throws out a name of a SGT that just retired from my job. Funny thing is he says the wrong name. I told him I don't know who that is although I knew who he meant. He couldn't find the Reg and he was saying sh*t under his breath. He was like don't worry I'll call him. I wasn't sure if I was going to write him but I said f*ck it and ran his license. He came back REVOKED and his Abstract had like 50 prior suspensions dating back to 2004 for Insurance problems. I called my ex-SGT and told him what was going on. He didn't even know the guy so I locked him up. He was still a prick the whole time.

Yes, I was working the desk and a former partner of mine from a different agency stopped a motorist in my jurisdiction. The stopped motorist dropped the line inquiring whether it would help if he knew me. My partner gave me a call and I had no idea who this person was. I inquired into my records as to whether or not I had any interaction with him. I discovered that I had an interaction with him regarding an investigation. I advised my former partner of this finding and issued him the appropriate paperwork!

My Department provides us with personalized business cards to utilize when interacting with persons. I don't use them, and if I do I clearly write across the card for accident report only, or report purposes only. I think you make the credibility of PBA cards stronger when the motorists realize that we verify names that are dropped. And if an issue ever came up of whether or not you were trying to determine preferential treatment, it is very clear that you merely furthering your roadside investigation.

I do the same with my business cards. I write on the front and back "FOR POLICE BUSINESS ONLY" or something like that. PBA cards only go out to a chosen few.

I try not to write Police or family members, or Fire / EMS. But it depends on how they act.

I have been extended courtesy by several different PD agencies over the years. Sometimes it was because I am a VAC member or because I am an FD member or because I dispatch for a local PD. Although I am not a LEO, I would NOT hesitate to stop and assist any LEO if I saw them rolling around with some mope on the side of the road. I am not obligated to stop, but I strongly feel that it is the right thing to do. This even goes for the POs who have written me tickets. Yes, I would still stop and help them out.

I have a NYS Pistol Permit, on occasion I do carry my Glock 40, if I ever saw that a PO was in trouble and in danger of being injured or killed by a suspect, I would NOT hesitate to take action against the suspect. I have a personal friend who is a Firearms Instructor for a local PD. He has provided me with many hours of training on how to properly discharge my weapon to protect myself or to protect someone else.

The Police are here to protect us, however, sometimes there are people who do not think this way, they want to harm or kill POs. It should be the duty of any citizen to come to the aid of a PO who may be in trouble. That is how I feel. I know that there are some people who do not agree with my view, but due to the fact that I come from a family of cops, if my father (retired cop) was still on the job and he was in trouble, I would like nothing more than for someone to come to his aid and do whatever needed to be done to help him.