Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest paramedico987

MTX-3000

6 posts in this topic

I'm trying to catch somebody in a lie on ebay...

Does anybody know by what means to Motorola MTX-3000 UHF Portable is programmed?

By this I mean can it be done without using the Motorola, uber-coveted, RSS?

To the best of my knowledge, the RSS is the only way to program a Motorola radio.

a bunch can be cloned with a cable, maybe over the air, but other than the JT1000 and GP2000 series, i know of none that are keyboard. However, don't take that as 100% accurate.

For everthing Motorola check out the forums at Batlabs.com

Edited by SteveOFD

First off, are you (or the seller) sure of the model number? I've never heard of an MTX-3000 There is an MTX8000 and MTX9000 series (plus an MTSX series), the XTS-3000, and the MX3000.

Much more informative would be the actual Model number off of the radio's chasis.

There are some Motorola portables that offer varying degrees of front panel programability, for example, the GP68, the JT1000, the HT1550, and the XTS5000 (I think the XTS2500 may as well). Those models come in two varieties- FCC approved and Federal/Export. To be FCC approved, programming must require both a password and a hardware device. The Federal government and export models require only a password. In any event, the radio must be set up with the programming software to allow the front panel programming to be used.

Additionally, in the high tier radios (MTS*/MCS*, Astro, and XTS*/XTL*) the radios feature set is purchased on an a la carte basis, and enabled through a Flash upgrade procedure. Two apparently identical radios can have very different capabilities.

It truly is a case of buyer beware, especially on eBay where hacked or "frankenflashed" radios are much more the norm than legit radios. While hacked radios are fun to play with on a hobbyist basis, I would never reccomend trusting them in a life-critical environment.

I'm simplifying a bit, but I hope I'm at least conveying the general idea.

Edited by 40-32 Comms

eBay is loaded with radios that are not FCC approved. I recently had a member of a neighboring EMS agency come to me and ask me to change a few things on his HT1250 radio. My agency has licensed Moto RSS.

When I tried to read his radio, I got an error code. I could not find the code anywhere in the help section. When I removed the battery from the radio and looked at the radio info there was not FCC approval and there was a label that said "South East Asia Model".

My RSS would not work with his radio. He should not even have it in his possession and if he ever tries to send it to MOTO to get fixed, he will never get his radio back.