mikeinet

Fire district moves ahead on new Millwood firehous

6 posts in this topic

http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...379/1018/NEWS02

Fire district moves ahead on new Millwood firehouse

By ELIZABETH GANGA

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: June 6, 2007)

MILLWOOD - Disregarding warnings from a group of local taxpayers that they will defeat a firehouse they consider too large when it comes up for a public bond vote, the Millwood Fire District has decided to proceed with plans for a 19,900-square-foot building in the Millwood hamlet.

The decision on the size of the proposed structure came after months of pressure from the West End Neighborhood Taxpayers, which represents a large part of the Millwood Fire District, for a smaller firehouse. The fire district reduced the size from just under 25,000 square feet but refused to go any farther.

WENT officials argued for a 15,500-square- foot firehouse.

"We couldn't come to an agreement with them so we're doing what we have to do," said Anthony Olenik, chairman of the fire district board.

At a meeting last week, the district's architect, Bernard Lanza, went though the construction budget with residents and tussled with WENT members about the accounting of the costs. Kurt Kleinmann, chairman of WENT's firehouse committee, said in an interview that he sees no chance that the district's voters will approve the bond for the firehouse.

"We're going to work very hard to defeat that bond issue and without the bond they haven't got anything," he said.

The fire district, which governs the volunteer fire department that serves western New Castle, has estimated the cost of the new house at $13.5 million, but WENT says it may cost between $14 million and $15 million. The plans are expected to be submitted to approval agencies, including the town of New Castle, by year's end.

WENT has demonstrated its organizing muscle before. In 2005, more than 350 voters came out to support the group's choice for fire commissioner. Adding to the commissioners' difficulties, the firehouse plans have long been controversial. Concern about the new firehouse initially centered on the possibility that the district might seize land along Millwood Road for it. But earlier this year, the district approved a contract to buy 7 acres on Henry Place just off Millwood Road owned by Realis Development.

While that defused the eminent-domain controversy, it angered neighbors. It left the question about the building's size and cost.

"I know that nobody down here is going to vote for it," said Bill Gordon, an airline pilot who lives on Millwood Road near Henry Place.

Gordon said the fire district sees Henry Place as an easier target than the earlier preferred site, occupied by Millwood Supply on Millwood Road. Leo Rotta, the owner of the land, vowed to fight any attempt to seize the property. The other sites being studied in an environmental review are a former motorcycle shop across from Millwood Supply and the current firehouse land.

Millwood's firefighters take calls out of two firehouses, one on Route 134 and the second on Route 120 in the hamlet. The Route 120 firehouse, the one designated to be replaced, was built decades ago and the commissioners argue it is in bad shape, out of date and too small.

Olenik said the planned house's meeting room, commissioners' room, officers' room and other rooms were made smaller to cut the size of the building to 19,900 square feet. WENT recommended building five apparatus bays instead of six and keeping the building one story tall, Kleinmann said.

"We squeezed whatever we could and we feel we're down to the bare minimum," Olenik said.

Comment from a reader on the bottom of the story:

yet another reason for government consolidation, and another example of a taxing district out of control.

it is no knock on the heroism of firefighters to ask exactly why a department that does approximately 300 calls per year, with a miniscule percentage being actual structural fires, needs a 19 million dollar headquarters.

efficiency and readiness, yes....this kind of excess, no.

HQ is where E247, E245 (soon to be a Ladder), MA10 & R36 currently cram in to, right? From what I can tell it is very, VERY tight, and I can only imagine it will be tougher with the addition of a Ladder Truck. I haven't been to Millwood HQ in about a year, but I can tell you this. When we were walking around and checking the place out, the floor seemed to be sagging on the 2nd floor. This is unacceptable for ANY PUBLIC OR PRIVATE BUILDING! We also noticed that the overall condition of the building is fairly deteriorated, and I can honestly say that it is time for a new Millwood FD HQ.

Based on the sizes of some firehouses around, 19,000 sq. ft. really doesn't seem that excessive. Knowing the Millwood guys fairly well, I highly doubt that anything they are pursuing is overkill by any means.

Best of luck guys!

Sadly even in a post 9/11 world Fire, Police, and EMS still come in LAST on any City, Town, or Village Budget for Vehicles, Equipment, Training, Repairs, Maintenance, and a new Building.

Thank God for the FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program,

Those lucky enough to get it really do benefit from it.

GOOD LUCK MILLWOOD FD!

Utility44 is also out of station 1. HQ is cramped so tight that if you back up E254 (formerly TS2) about 1 1/2 feet too far, you will T-Bone the utility which is parked at a 45 in order to make it all fit . E247, you have about 3 inches of play room or you will take down a wall that we are very good at patching. Regarding the floor sagging into the bays, you are correct. It has been slowly working its way down for the past few years and in some spots has 'slipped' several inches. All and all, it is time to replace it. Remember, this building was originally made into the firehouse in 1924, and has seen additions and renovations, but the foundation is still 80+ years old.

If this was a private building, I dont think that town would let anyone go into it. why should the Millwood FD have to? If rumors are correct, at one point a few years ago, I was told that the building was actually condemned by the town because of the sagging and a few other issues. The Fire District spent the money to hold the building up long enough to hopefully get another house.

At this point with public opposition to the new house, letting it fall down may be the best thing. I would love to see the public's reaction when they have to replace the firehouse, but also repair/replace most of the apparatus housed there as well.

About two years ago we walked into Station #1 and noticed that part of the upper floor had fallen onto Engine 247. Fortunately, there was no damage to the truck at that time. Some repairs had been done in order to ensure that this would not happen again, but there is a chance that it could happen again (perhaps causing truck damage or personal injury). It is time for a new firehouse; that is not the issue with the community members. One of the major issues is the amount of money that has been wasted over the many years by the fire commissioners for lawyers and architects. Another issue is the lack of communication between the fire commissioners and the taxpayers (which is related to the massive amount of money wasted by the fire commissioners over the years). I wish the best for the Millwood Fire Company and the community of Millwood and hope that this LONG project can end positively very soon.