Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alternator whine help!

6 posts in this topic

Hey, does anybody have any more ideas on how to get rid of alternator whine in a car speakers? I have tried ground loop isolators, star grounds, running all grounds to battery, nothing seems to work, please post any ideas you might have.

try moving any power wires away from the speaker/ speaker wires

I just thought I'd ask..... Did you have the alternator checked ? What year vehicle is it? While I agree with everything you have done to try to get rid of the whine, if the alternator is bad, it would be difficulty to get rid of the whine if that was the underlying cause...... - A bad diode will cause what you are seeing (I should say hearing) and with a diode bad, the alternator MIGHT still produce power although at a reduced amount and you may not notice it otherwise..... Just a guess....... Bill

Edited by Photounit

I'm not a master with car electronics but i do know about a bit about electrical engineering. Capacitors can fix pretty much everything. If you want you can get some one to design a low pass or band pass filter that can take that out. I havent done that stuff in a few years and Im sure there is some quirk to cars that I dont know. Good luck.

Thank you all, and in reply to "I'm not a master with car electronics but i do know about a bit about electrical engineering. Capacitors can fix pretty much everything. If you want you can get some one to design a low pass or band pass filter that can take that out. I havent done that stuff in a few years and Im sure there is some quirk to cars that I dont know. Good luck."

Where would i put the capacitors?

As to the alternator reply, i will try switching them , i do have a spare

And i will also try moving the power wires.

Thank you all, any more ideas, i am open to anything

Ooops. Sorry, thought I had an answer, but was completely wrong.

Edited by towerladder2