Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Who carries off duty?

38 posts in this topic

I don't know how the unions are down there in the sunny South but does your union or FOP have any objection to a requirement to carry a firearm? I personally think that if they're requiring it then they should issue it and there have to be some serious exemptions if you're going to the beach, out drinking with the squad, taking the kids to the playground, etc.

Maybe one of our NYPD brothers can enlighten us - didn't NYC have a policy requiring you to carry a long time ago? Is that still the "rule"?

If you're gonna carry the shield, I agree with other posters, you better have more than your smile to back it up!!

The NYPD's policy is that anytime you are in NYC you are to be armed UNLESS you're going to be consuming alcohol, on vacation, placed on modified assignment, etc.

The REAL problem is that you guys all live in a state that has trounced your second amendment rights to death. It shouldn't be SCARY to see a handgun in plain view. Now, that's not the best way to carry, but it works. It should also be perfectly legal WITHOUT a permit or shield.

Just my $.02

Carry and work safe!!

RA

I think you have to Have a Permit... U cant let any joe blow carry!!!! You should have to go through the permit process and background checks... If you advertise your firearm be ready for the attention though!!!

I think you have to Have a Permit... U cant let any joe blow carry!!!! You should have to go through the permit process and background checks... If you advertise your firearm be ready for the attention though!!!

Nope, sorry. I disagree. Should you have to have a permit to speak freely? To not be stopped and searched illegally?

Nope. When the trouncing of your rights begins...where will it stop? Oh, wait, it has begun. What's next?

RA

Boy has the "live free or die" state changed you. Does that lawyer you married work for the ACLU. Must be the clean living!

Boy has the "live free or die" state changed you. Does that lawyer you married work for the ACLU. Must be the clean living!

Yes, it has and for the better. I am no longer brainwashed by small minds like Bloomberg.

And, if memory serves, you introduced me to the concept...

QUOTE(Times-Herald Record)

Middletown police officer, shot twice, in stable condition

Middletown — 7 p.m. -- A Middletown city police officer shot twice this afternoon on Wawayanda Avenue responding to a domestic dispute is in stable condition at this hour. Police have one man in custody. Officer Christopher Dolan, 22, of Bullville, who joined the city force in August 2006, was shot twice -- once in the left arm and once in the left side of the hip, according to police Chief Matt Byrne. He was wearing his bulletproof vest at the time, Byrne said.

Dolan was surrounded by family members at the Horton campus of Orange Regional Medical Center in Middletown. Dolan, who is single and a lifelong Orange County resident, began working alone on patrol about one month ago.

Byrne said the shooting happened like this: Dolan and other officers were responding to a report of a domestic dispute involving a man with a knife at 317 Wawayanda Ave. around 4:18 p.m. Dolan came under fire and other officers rescued him from the scene.

A neighbor said he heard three shots and then saw a man come out on the deck holding a toddler in one hand and a gun in the other hand. Then he saw police taking out Dolan, who had been wounded.

A suspect, described by police only as the husband in the domestic dispute, retreated to the house for a short period of time. Middletown’s tactical team, which happened to be training today, made contact with the suspect, who surrendered within minutes, Byrne said.

The neighbor said the couple who lived at the home had two children, ages 9 and 2. Apparently the 9-year-old was not at home at the time of the shooting. Police would not say more about the suspect, other than it was a husband and wife domestic dispute.

Byrne described Dolan as “soft-spoken, well-mannered and somewhat reserved.â€

Police shut down Wawayanda Avenue south of County Route 78. A state police helicopter was circling over the scene. There was a massive police response, with a state police tactical unit, Orange County sheriff’s deputies, Town of Wallkill police, Middletown police and numerous other units on the scene.

Like I said let any joe blow carry.... No background check or permit on this guy!!!!! I am one of the biggest believers in the second amendment but you have to draw a line

Yep, these things suck. But, criminals will be criminals. Making more gun laws will not stop people like this.

Just because someone kills someone with a car, do we even consider making it harder for everyone to buy a car?

Wait, no one has died as a result of violence and cars, have they?

I leave all my handguns in my locker at work. I used to keep one in my vehicle then my truck got towed by a NYC Sheriff for outstanding parking tags. There is no need for that anxiety, and the possibility of it falling into the wrong hands. Immediately after 9/11 I would carry a 12 guage and .223 rifle in my truck, because if the s*** hit the fan I knew I could end it rather quickly, but the Department doesn't authorize either as an off duty weapon.

I always carry my shield and ID, because I enjoy driving fast.

As far as plain clothes, I sometimes carry in plain view in a soft uniform, khaki 511 pants and blue polo with PD lofo on chest. Pistol and shield on right side, cuffs and magazine on the left.

MTACOP nice comment and I agree.

I always carry my shield and ID, because I enjoy driving fast.

I always carry my Shield and ID, if carrying or not. I do carry alot and if not on my person it is locked in storage chest in vehicle. That is depending in where I am or what I am doing.

Edited by NYCOP