Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Phoenix FD "Risk Takers" on Discovery HD

4 posts in this topic

I dont know if this is a rethread or not, but... I just watched a pretty good show that followed a shift from Phoenix FD Station 25 on Discovery HD theatre. You can tell they were trying to make good tv by emphasizing certain things and using dramatic music but all in all they did a good job following one of the busiest departments in the country. They got two house fires, a couple medical calls, and two MVA's. There wasnt much discussed in the way of tactics but I did notice a few things that may be of interest. Such as no airpacks in the cab but still masking up. I barely recall hearing something about it in my FF1 class in Florida but apparently they had a "legenday" chief who enacted that to minimize firefighter movement in the cab enroute and encourage seat belt wearing. I think the other benefit mentioned was that it forced people to get a better scene sizeup instead of rushing headlong into the fire. At least one of the engines had what appeared to be a pump panel on the rear of the apparatus (i.e. european style). Another was a rear mount (hush) engine. Just from the quick looks there appeared to be a few more quirks. Maybe a more trained eye can glean more information and contribute a bit more intelligent discussion but I thought it was worth seeing one of the most respected departments in the country go to work. Anyone else catch this? The series was called "Risk Takers."

There wasnt much discussed in the way of tactics but I did notice a few things that may be of interest.  Such as no airpacks in the cab but still masking up.  I barely recall hearing something about it in my FF1 class in Florida but apparently they had a "legenday" chief who enacted that to minimize firefighter movement in the cab enroute and encourage seat belt wearing.  I think the other benefit mentioned was that it forced people to get a better scene sizeup instead of rushing headlong into the fire.  At least one of the engines had what appeared to be a pump panel on the rear of the apparatus (i.e. european style).  Another was a rear mount (hush) engine.  Just from the quick looks there appeared to be a few more quirks. 

Alan Brunancini (sp?)!!! Excellent chief from what I am told.

The air pack issue was also done to prevent guys from moving around and getting packed up on the way (most times requiring to be un-seat belted to do so) to increase safety. You can tell firefighters to do things a certain way, but the mentality is still there, so you have to physically remove the temptation.

My instructor up at school (DCC Fire Science) Dave Walsh, repeatedly praises Brunancini, and uses him for examples for many of the extremely progressive things he has done for the fire service in general, but specifically for the Phoenix FD, which has become a model for many other progressive FDs in the country.

Unfortunately, I did not see this episode, if you find out about repeat times, let me know, I would love to see it. Had seen the ads for the series, but not that episode specifically.

Unfortunately, I did not see this episode, if you find out about repeat times, let me know, I would love to see it. Had seen the ads for the series, but not that episode specifically.

Repeats to be shown Tuesday June 19th 1600 hrs (this afternoon), Sunday June 24th 1600 hrs, Sunday June 24th 0300 hrs. Enjoy....

Repeats to be shown Tuesday June 19th 1600 hrs (this afternoon), Sunday June 24th 1600 hrs, Sunday June 24th 0300 hrs.  Enjoy....

Thanks 1425!! tongue.gif

Say hello to one of the newest dispatchers, 1445, he is a friend from school!!