Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HELP light cars and heavy weapons truck

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, got a question about some older ESU equipment. What was a HELP light car (about 7 of them) and a heavy weapons truck? Found them in the NYPD section of the operational reference 1st edition and can't picture them.

Thanks everyone, Jim

HELP stood for High intensity Emergency Lighting Package. It was basically just a regular police vehicle with aticulating arms on the roof with lights on them. They were used to light up incident scenes. I'm not sure exactly what you're refering to as the heavy weapons truck. You could be refering to the large Emergency Service Truck.

Thanks for the info on the HELPs. The Heavy Weapons Truck is also has the words "counter assault" with it. since the APC's are also listed I don't think it's referring to them. An armored car maybe?

The NYPD use to have a paddy wagon looking vehicle that was armored. They would sit in the back box and had polls that were hooked up to the peddles, and stearing. This was from back in the day of the green and white department autos. Look for an old armored car book. And you may find a photo of it. I know I have seen it a few times.