Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OoO

What happens what you call 911?

2 posts in this topic

If I were to call 911 from my land line for EMS, who answers the call and how does it reach 60 control or a local PD dispatcher?

That's a loaded question...

Assuming its a traditional landline, then it depends on who your PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point) is. If the EMS agency that covers your house is not directly dispatched from the same agency that is your PSAP, then your PSAP will probably transfer your EMS call to the appropriate EMS agency's dispatcher after determining whether a police and or/fire response is also needed. I see that you live in Westchester, so there's a good chance that your PSAP is your local Police Department, but that is not always the case.

If you let us know what town you live in, I'm sure someone reading this thread will know exactly how your particular call would be routed.

A note on VoIP... from http://www.voip911.gov/

In May 2005....the FCC adopted rules requiring providers of interconnected VoIP services to supply 911 emergency calling capabilities to their customers as a mandatory feature of the service by November 28, 2005. "Interconnected" VoIP services are VoIP services that allow a user generally to receive calls from and make calls to the traditional telephone network. Under the FCC rules, interconnected VoIP providers must:

* Deliver all 911 calls to the local emergency call center;

* Deliver the customer’s call back number and location information where the emergency call center is capable of receiving it; and

* Inform their customers of the capabilities and limitations of their VoIP 911 service.

Edited by 242steve