Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OnTheWheel

State Fire Instructor Requirments?

7 posts in this topic

Anyone know the credentials needed to be a Fire Instructor? I have IDS through DCJS already. Looking to see what else is needed.

Thanks

Anyone know the credentials needed to be a Fire Instructor?  I have IDS through DCJS already.  Looking to see what else is needed.

Thanks

THis was taken from OFPC....

Instructor 1

Basic Firefighter (91) or Firefighting Essentials (02), and

Intermediate Firefighter (92) or Initial Fire Attack (10), and

Apparatus Operator - Pump (78) or Pump Operator (08) or

Truck Company Operations (1F) or Ladder Company Operations (06), and

Introduction to Fire Officer (45) or Preparing for Command (25),

and either:

Fire Service Instructor I (1542); or Educational Methodology (1507);

or both

Training Officer Workshop I (1200) and Training Officer Workshop II (1201

Instructor 2

NYS Fire Service Instructor I Certification and either:

Fire Service Instructor II (1543),

or all of the following:

Educational Methodology (1507) and Training Officer Workshop I (1200) and Training Officer Workshop II (1201).

On the wheel...

Do you mean you want to work as an instructor on a county or state level or just to get the instructor 1 and/or 2 certification?

On the wheel...

Do you mean you want to work as an instructor on a county or state level or just to get the instructor 1 and/or 2 certification?

Id just like to teach at the training center, veh extrication, on a volunteer basis if they do that. Wanted to figure out what courses I needed to do that.

The training center only utilizes either State or County Fire Instructors. As far as vehicle extrication goes only State Fire Instructors are currently authorized by the OFPC to deliver that curriculum. In order to teach any course in NY state you have to be either an SFI, CFI, MTO or MFI. SFI's are hired by OFPC, CFI's by counties and MTO's are required by state law for professional firefighters to ensure compliance with training regulations and they can also teach state courses at a department level with assistance from MFI's. To teach a particular course you have to be certified already in that course and then attend an instructor's conference that are given in Montour Falls at the Academy of Fire Science. So essentially you re-take the course and have to so proficiency both written and skills. OFPC recently issued a new policy which names certain curriculums which can only be delivered by State Fire Instructors.

The training center only utilizes either State or County Fire Instructors.  As far as vehicle extrication goes only State Fire Instructors are currently authorized by the OFPC to deliver that curriculum.  In order to teach any course in NY state you have to be either an SFI, CFI, MTO or MFI.  SFI's are hired by OFPC, CFI's by counties and MTO's are required by state law for professional firefighters to ensure compliance with training regulations and they can also teach state courses at a department level with assistance from MFI's.  To teach a particular course you have to be certified already in that course and then attend an instructor's conference that are given in Montour Falls at the Academy of Fire Science.  So essentially you re-take the course and have to so proficiency both written and skills.  OFPC recently issued a new policy which names certain curriculums which can only be delivered by State Fire Instructors.

So basically, Im out? lol They are "Paid" instructors only, none on a volunteer basis? Like I said, Im certified by DCJS as an instructor. I understand the need to take a trainers course in the subject. But I guess its just paid full time instructors.

Actually we are all paid part time instructors. Depending on what hat I wear is whom I get paid by.