Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Horrible incident in Virginia

6 posts in this topic

Got this from "The Secret List."

A D.C. Fire recruit was charged with DWI in a crash that killed a New Jersey Fire Captain's family yesterday. The father (a Vet. Jersey City Fire Captain) watched the horror unfold as his family was killed while they were pulled over on the highway. The car, a 1994 Honda Accord carrying four people, had pulled onto the shoulder of westbound I-66 according to the cops. Maureen O'Callahan, 41, had been driving, but about 2:45 a.m., she had grown tired and decided to pull over and let her husband drive. Tim O'Callahan, 42, climbed out of the Accord; his daughter, Tara O'Callahan, 20, and his nephew John Oldigs, 23, were in the backseat. As Tim O'Callahan watched, a 2001 Dodge Ram pickup truck smashed into the Accord, destroying it. Police further said that Tim O'Callahan was outside the car and saw the whole thing but he wasn't physically hurt. "It was awful," the police spokesman continued. "Daughter and wife and nephew right there, and he actually saw it. He was outside the car when the truck almost literally ran over the top of the car."

Maureen O'Callahan, Tara O'Callahan and Oldigs were pronounced dead at the scene. There was nothing Tim O'Callahan, a veteran fire captain in Jersey City, N.J., could do. Police said Jonathan Conner O'Neal, 24, of Delaplane, VA, a firefighter trainee in Washington, DC, was driving the pickup. Police charged O'Neal with DWI. Troopers will meet with Fairfax County prosecutors this week to decide whether to add charges of involuntary manslaughter. A spokesman for DC Fire & EMS stated "We extend our deepest condolences to all members of the families who were impacted by this," For additional details and followup-go to www.Firehouse.Com.

Words can't express my opinions about this one....

My sympathies to Captain O'Callahan and his family.

Coincidentally, I actually passed right by where this happened a few hours prior.

What a horror of an incident. I don't even know what to say either.

Just another sad testiment about the hazards of drinking and driving

Fine post DOC!!! WHen will they learn? ](*,) #-o :-k

I drove by that accident at 0630. The accident investigation unit was still out there. That was possibly the most horrible looking accident I have ever seen, with the rear of the probie's truck up in the air, they had to use ALL of their cribbing. The Captain's car was unrecognizable. Just truly terrible.

Tim O came from a fine family of public servants. His three brothers are on my job. Well, what I mean to say is that his one brother 'Oakie' was an E.S.U. Officer for years through the rank of Sargent. After he was promoted to Lieutenant he suffered a massive heart attack OTW home from work. The other brother is an outstanding Street Crimes LT. And the fourth a Lt in IAU. The entire family is extremely popular on and off the job. Jersey City didn't have a dry eye in the city upon hearing the news. The irony is just startling that the DWI driver a FF. A very sad day for public safety personnel.