Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

Blackberry Information Request

5 posts in this topic

Although I am a cell phone buff, I have pretty much been faithful to the different model Nextel flip phones.

At one point last year I purchased a Palm Treo 650 from Sprint. This was a secondary device that I planned on using for web services especially sending and receiving emails while on the road or at work where we have very tight restrictions on internet usage. I did not want a PDA phone as my primary device because I am rough on everything I carry with me. For a while I used it a lot, but then I stopped using it so much. I ended up cancelling the service on it.

Thinking back I think I should have gotten a Blackberry. I hear from some people that they do not like the Blackberry and I hear from some people that they are addicted to their Blackberrys. I know that Nextel has a 7100, but Sprint has the 8700 and 8800 series which look like they are loaded with all kinds of features etc. I still do not want a device like that as my primary phone because like I said it will get a beaten.

I am looking to get some info and input about the different Blackberry models available and why they are better and or worse then Palm, Moto Q or Blackjack phones. Do any of the Blackberrys WiFi capable? I also keep hearing about needing a separate data plan that is more money and different then the Palm and the Q?

Thanks in advance for your help

Working with Blackberries everyday at work I can tell you they are only as good as your service provider. Nextel offers two however the actual data speed is relatively slow compared to the others such as Cingular's Edge network or even the regular Sprint network. Data plans vary and can get pretty expensive. You will also be at a loss functionality wise if you don't have it attached to an enterprise server as that gives many more options for other java based applications to run. Check out this link to the Rim site and you can see for yourself the different models and carriers. http://www.rim.net/products/index.shtml

Working with Blackberries everyday at work I can tell you they are only as good as your service provider. Nextel offers two however the actual data speed is relatively slow compared to the others such as Cingular's Edge network or even the regular Sprint network. Data plans vary and can get pretty expensive. You will also be at a loss functionality wise if you don't have it attached to an enterprise server as that gives many more options for other java based applications to run. Check out this link to the Rim site and you can see for yourself the different models and carriers. http://www.rim.net/products/index.shtml

I have a Blackberry with the Edge network attached to an enterprise server ( I am in Canada though). It is my lifeline. I am thoroughly addicted. I have added google mapping and blackberry mapping. Now I am good for almost anything. I highly recommend it.

Mark Bindman

Montreal, Canada

I have a BBRY 7520 with Nextel service that I use for work. The cellular coverage is typical Nextel service. The internet service is slow for my liking. The phone itself is a little big and bulky but it does take a beating. I am by no means gentle on my phone and it has held up very well. Bluetooth works well and it links up nicely with Microsoft Outlook as far as using it for calendar appointments, contacts, etc.

Thanks for the info. I still want a little more input from you guys before I make a final decision.