Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Grasslands FD?

17 posts in this topic

Anyone know about this department? I know they're in Valhalla, but thats about it.

all members of the Grasslands fire brigade are being trained to firefighter 1 level.

How big is the WMC and "Grasslands Reservation" wich the website says the brigade covers? 22 Firefighters...must be rather large

Thats about right--they work all over the campus and respopnd from their job assigements-- some are inthe DES building and drive eng 7 ladder 7 eng 8 is located in maintaince building.

The Grasslands Fire Brigade is made up of County employees working on the campus. They respond to fire calls (usually automatic alarms) Monday-Friday during business hours, except on Holidays.

Chief Gasparre (Car 2541) oversees the Brigade. They have other Officers within the brigade as well.

They utilize the following apparatus:

Engine 7

Engine 8

Ladder 7

Mini-Attack 2

Utility 3

Other times the calls are covered by Valhalla and Hawthorne FDs.

The Grasslands Fire Brigade is made up of County employees working on the campus. They respond to fire calls (usually automatic alarms) Monday-Friday during business hours, except on Holidays.

Chief Gasparre (Car 2541) oversees the Brigade. They have other Officers within the brigade as well.

They utilize the following apparatus:

Engine 7

Engine 8

Ladder 7

Mini-Attack 2

Utility 3

Other times the calls are covered by Valhalla and Hawthorne FDs.

are they ever called for mutual aid by hawthrne or valhalla ?

dont forget thier chevy pick-em up truck chiefs car either!

dont forget thier chevy pick-em up truck chiefs car either!

That's the Chief's unit, 2541, which was mentioned.

As far as Mutual Aid - I don't think they can. I think, and I could be wrong (which happens) but being that they are a "brigade" I don't think they can respond to Mutual Aid requests outside of their jurisdiction. Anyone know more on this?

That's the Chief's unit, 2541, which was mentioned.

As far as Mutual Aid - I don't think they can. I think, and I could be wrong (which happens) but being that they are a "brigade" I don't think they can respond to Mutual Aid requests outside of their jurisdiction. Anyone know more on this?

The GE Plant in Schenectady has a brigade, and I believe they dont respond out of the plant into the city. I dont think they are even part of the mutual aid plan, just an industrial fire brigade to protect the plant and employees.

How big is the WMC and "Grasslands Reservation" wich the website says the brigade covers? 22 Firefighters...must be rather large

The Grasslands Reservation is several hundred acres and includes the County Jail and Pententiary, Westchester Medical Center, Behavioral Health Center, Taylor Care (Nursing Home), several research and clinical buildings housing doctors offices and clinics, etc., the New York Medical College, a juvenile detention facility, juvenile runaway shelter, hospice shelter, Westchester County Police Academy and DES Fire/EMS Training Center. There's probably more that I'm missing but that's the majority of it.

No they are not a part of the mutual aid plan

The Grasslands Reservation is several hundred acres and includes the County Jail and Pententiary, Westchester Medical Center, Behavioral Health Center, Taylor Care (Nursing Home), several research and clinical buildings housing doctors offices and clinics, etc., the New York Medical College, a juvenile detention facility, juvenile runaway shelter, hospice shelter, Westchester County Police Academy and DES Fire/EMS Training Center. There's probably more that I'm missing but that's the majority of it.

.....and Satellite Bus Facility which stores 100 buses.

Interesting, last time I did a transport to WMC I saw them responding to a nearby building, I was wondering if they were a campus brigade.

I believe the reservation also includes the WCC campus.

Fairview FD covers the WCC Campus, and EMS is done by Greenburgh PD except the shelter which gets the Grasslands Ambulance (MetroCare).

Nope, the Community College is a separate property.