Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

Nextel/Sprint Hybrid Phones

21 posts in this topic

Sprint is pushing their "ic" hybrid phones on many of the Nextel customers. I have not had the chance to try out any of these phones yet.

Has anyone had any experiences with these phones? Are the better or worse then regular Nextel phones?

Sprint is pushing their "ic" hybrid phones on many of the Nextel customers. I have not had the chance to try out any of these phones yet.

Has anyone had any experiences with these phones? Are the better or worse then regular Nextel phones?

Personally, they're worse. I've worked with Nextel for about 3 years now. These hybrids are garbage. It's CDMA technology for cell use, but iDEN technology for direct connect (PTT)

The CDMA is from sprint, and it's not that good. The iDEN technology is the best out right now, but it's being phased out by Sprint's CDMA. In 2010 iDEN will be gone and the transformation to an all CDMA network will be complete.

POS !!! that puts it best..

I have had Nextel for many years, late last year I had the I95c and had increased amount of dropped calls and poor reception in Putnam Valley after complaining (before they started dropping clients), they said go with the NEW ic502 hybrid (sprint voice/Nextel 2-way), "It will fix your issue, since I had an out of date phone and that new towers were designed for the newer equipment."

Well it hasn't fixed much, I still drop calls (While standing still 5 bars to ZERO, beep!! lost call, 2 seconds later 5 bars again?). Nextel was a premium provider before merging with the worst choice for voice Sprint..

Now I can be standing next to someone and cant reach them on the 2-way. I am about to either take the hit for dropping the contract or call them so they void the contract.. My wife has had verizon for 4+ years without any signifigant issue, the service has not failed.. and the cost is almost 1/2 for the same airtime allowance. The hassle and cost to keep Nextel is exceeding the usefullness of the 2-way

I had a two year contract with Nextel that I got out of last summer because I couldn't take the horrible service anymore. I've gotten Verizon since and have been very happy. My father is still using Nextel and can't stand it, another friend of mine just switched to Cingular because he couldn't take it anymore. Its funny that I'm reading the negative feedback on the hybrid because I just had a discussion yesterday with one of the guys in my department who loves his new hybrid phone. He said he's able to make phone calls without a problem, but is still having a ton of problems with direct connect.

This same topic was discussed a week or two ago.

It's fine. I wouldn't rush to switch, but they're pretty good. The voice quality is much better and reception is decent. There is NO change in how the direct connect works. It's the same. The phone is rugged, but the battery life SUCKS.

You won't notice much of a difference, with one exception. It's nice to be able to recieve a phone call while on direct connect and vice versa.

iDen isn't the "best thing out there", but it's good and I don't think you're going to see it phased out.

Hold out and get the ic902.

Ok you already have got most of the info. The 902 is wayyyyyy better than the 502. I have the 502 for only one reason...it was free (Called to tell them I hate Sprint and was going to leave. They gave me a free phone and two months of free service.). As for the battery life problem, if you get the newer powersource battery (the fatter one) I find myself lasting a day or two between charges. On busy days i still get a full day of talk time before it starts to beep.

It's fine. I wouldn't rush to switch, but they're pretty good. The voice quality is much better and reception is decent. There is NO change in how the direct connect works. It's the same. The phone is rugged, but the battery life SUCKS.

You won't notice much of a difference, with one exception. It's nice to be able to recieve a phone call while on direct connect and vice versa.

iDen isn't the "best thing out there", but it's good and I don't think you're going to see it phased out.

Hold out and get the ic902.

Sprint/Nextel already released the statement that they are phasing Nextel out. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. But sadly yes, it is being phased out. I'll try and find the notices that I've received from them.

Don,

I do believe the notice you are talking about stated, that they were going to phase out the Iden network in the consumer market over the next 5-10yrs as the CDMA and newer technologies become capable of handling the direct-connect service. The Iden network then is supposed to be used by Government and Private organizations (accounts). Iden is superior for the "walkie-talkie" as compared to CDMA. That is why the Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint "walkie-talkies" never became popular. Iden will be around for a while still.

Edited by CAM502

Ok you already have got most of the info. The 902 is wayyyyyy better than the 502. I have the 502 for only one reason...it was free (Called to tell them I hate Sprint and was going to leave. They gave me a free phone and two months of free service.). As for the battery life problem, if you get the newer powersource battery (the fatter one) I find myself lasting a day or two between charges. On busy days i still get a full day of talk time before it starts to beep.

I got the ic502 for the same reason. Nothing wrong wtih it, but I do want the ic902. Is it really that much better?

Don,

I do believe the notice you are talking about stated, that they were going to phase out the Iden network in the consumer market over the next 5-10yrs as the CDMA and newer technologies become capable of handling the direct-connect service. The Iden network then is supposed to be used by Government and Private organizations (accounts). Iden is superior for the "walkie-talkie" as compared to CDMA. That is why the Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint "walkie-talkies" never became popular. Iden will be around for a while still.

Correct, The information that I received when I worked for Nextel stated that iDEN is being phased out for public/commercial use. Military use will still stay, but iDEN for us as customers will change to a CDMA powered PTT "walkie talkie"

I'm trying to find the documents, it's rather interesting actually. Once I find them I'll forward them so you can take a look.

If CDMA is what Verizon used a few years ago as their answer to Nextel, there will be no reason to stay with Spint. Verizon "Push to Talk" was absolutely horrible and subsequently dropped by Verizon wireless. There was nothing instananeous about their "Push to Talk".

There is NO change in how the direct connect works. It's the same. The phone is rugged, but the battery life SUCKS.

there is a slight change with the ic502, that would have been nice if it carried over from the regular nextel phones. and it was the ability to use the direct connect without having to flip open the phone by pushing the stop button and scrolling using the volume buttons. other than that, i love my ic502. mine came with the extended battery, and my charge lasts for 3 days.

i only wish that you could hear your ringer volume when you use the outside buttons.

there is a slight change with the ic502, that would have been nice if it carried over from the regular nextel phones. and it was the ability to use the direct connect without having to flip open the phone by pushing the stop button and scrolling using the volume buttons. other than that, i love my ic502. mine came with the extended battery, and my charge lasts for 3 days.

i only wish that you could hear your ringer volume when you use the outside buttons.

CSF,

Those are my only real complaints also. Opening the phone everytime stinks....but they fixed that on the ic902.

I love the ic502 I got from work. I now have cell coverage in my house (and better than Verizon which surprised me). Albiet I'm upgrading from an i1000. :D

I have the IC502 with the high capacity battery and the larger battery door. Battery life is fine with that, but the phone coverage doesn't seem to be quite as good as the Nextel phones. The Direct Connect seems to be a bit better. One thing that is annoying as hell, though, when you roam, and it seems that the entire East side of North Salem is a damn roam zone, the damn thing makes this annoying noise when you are in automatin roam. I finally figured how to shut that up so it's better. Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I give it about 7 or 8 at best.

I have the IC502 with the high capacity battery and the larger battery door. Battery life is fine with that, but the phone coverage doesn't seem to be quite as good as the Nextel phones. The Direct Connect seems to be a bit better. One thing that is annoying as hell, though, when you roam, and it seems that the entire East side of North Salem is a damn roam zone, the damn thing makes this annoying noise when you are in automatin roam. I finally figured how to shut that up so it's better. Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I give it about 7 or 8 at best.

Down here in Dobbs Ferry area the ic502 stinks northing but trouble and droped calls. When I call a 231 (Light Path Number) our Village Hall it roams sometimes aor will not connect, I am really ready to change, but I do need the WT for work....Maybe that new model will be better

im not tohappy with nextel.im thinking in dec. when my contract is up ,switching to verizon.ive had more dropped calls and some problems with the direct connect.

I just got the ic502 yesterday ---- I love it so far....

I lost my Nextel phone on Labor Day in upstate NY. Had the i560 for 6 months and when I called customer service to shut the phone off, I got transferred repeatedly to someone else until the automated system hung up on me. When I finally got to speak to a customer service rep, 3 different ones said that they couldn't shut the phone off because they didn't know how. I then tried to make an insurance claim to replace the pone & they said I didn't have insurance. My friend had to talk to the customer service reps due to me want ing to kill them. A fourth customer service rep was able to suspend the service so no one was able to use the phone & they did say I had insurance on the phone & would talk to the other 3 reps (suuure you wil). They couldn't send me a new phone due to the claims dept being closed due to the holiday & said to call back on tues for a replacement. So on tues, I went to the mall and got a copy of what was on my plan & when my contract was up from the Nextel store. They told me to just leave it on suspeneded service and when December comes & my contract expires to cancel it so I don't have to pay the termination fee. I have verizon now and people can actually hear me when I talk to them on the phone now. Much better service area, plus a better Gov't employee discount (they gave me 19% off my bill). Nextel can't beat what Verizon offers in my opinion. I just wish Sprint never bought out Nextel. I never had any problems before the merger.

I finally got a chance to get a hybrid phone. My cousin and his wife had 2 of the ic502 phones with the extended batteries. They only used them for about a month because they switched to Verizon. They gave the phones to me for free. I called Friday and had the ic502 activated. The customer service guy told me that it would take 3-4 hours before the phone would be active and usable. After 12 hours of the phone not becoming active I had to call back. After spending 1/2 hour on the phone with Nextel, they finally got my phone activated.

I have heard mixed reviews about the "IC" series of phones. So far, I love the phone and the service. Nextel service has always been pretty good in the areas where I live, work and volunteer. Sprint has been adding towers around our area. I do have this ic502 set to roam if needed, but it has yet to go into roaming mode. I am a heavy user of text messaging and I receive EMS calls via text from the OC 911 Center so I need reliable text service. Nextel text messaging is slow and many times I would never even receive the message and when I would send them to other Nextel users they did not always get them. I read my email from my phone a lot also, so I needed web service with a decent speed. My brother and I we texting back and forth over the weekend. He has a Sprint Treo 650. It only took an average of 5 seconds from the time he sent me a message until I received it and vice versa.

I also like that when you are on a phone call and if someone tries to 2-Way you, it beeps and it lets you know that someone is trying to get ahold of you. I am probably going to upgrade to the ic902 soon. I just wanted to try out the hybrid system first to see how I liked it. So far, I like it.