Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Cars stalled by fuel switch at gas station

5 posts in this topic

As if the price of gas isn't bad enough!

From the Times Herald Record

Cars stalled by fuel switch at gas station

July 13, 2007

Goshen -- 5:34 p.m. -- At least 40 vehicles have had their fuel systems flushed after filling their tanks at a Goshen Exxon where diesel and unleaded gas were accidentally switched.

The driver for a Queens fuel distributor accidentally pumped diesel into the regular unleaded holding tanks and unleaded into the diesel tanks about 6 p.m. June 30, said Ann Marie Maglione, acting commissioner of the Orange County Department of Consumer Affairs.

For the next 15 hours, any cars that bought regular unleaded actually got diesel and eventually broke down, Maglione said. At least one truck filled up with unleaded, which can still run a diesel truck, she said.

So far, Mystic Tank Lines Corp. of Astoria has gotten repair bills ranging from $275 to $900 for 38 cars, one truck and one boat. Mechanics say the vehicles sustained no lasting damage, Maglione said.

Anyone who thinks they bought a bad tank at the Exxon on Route 207 should call Consumer Affairs at 291-2400.

Chris McKenna

"At least one truck filled up with unleaded, which can still run a diesel truck, she said."

Uhhhhh..... She obviously doesn't have a clue what she is talking about..... If you put gasoline into a diesel and run it.... The engines history...... And the repair bill for that will make the others look like pocket change...... I have a diesel and I would think the person who was filling their truck would have noticed that the diesel smelled like gas....... :o

... you'd think gas stations would have ways to prevent something like that from happening - like different size/type of connectors on the hoses or something

I don't believe that you would lose the engine by putting gasoline into a diesel...I had this happen one time...an ambulance broke down, tow operator thought it was out of fuel and put gas in it! I got blamed...long story! It ruined the fuel filter when the "collision" occurred between the two fuel sources, they gelled up or something...system was cleaned out and truck ran again on the same engine. I am not a mechanic but know that diesel nozzle's won't fit in a car's gas tank however gas nozzle's do fit in a diesel filler...As for someone not paying attention to the tank they are filling at a commercial establishment......sounds like someone may never ever have to pay for gas again!

If you add a small amount of gas to a diesel tank and the diesel dilutes the gasoline then what you said happened in your experience is likely to occur..... If you fill an empty diesel tank and try to run straight gasoline through the diesel, the engine is hosed...... The first thing to go probably will be the injectors....... Bill