Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD23

Bronx 4th Alarm?

4 posts in this topic

Any one have any info about a 4th alarm in the Bronx, i heard somehign on my scanner around 4am about transmiiting a 4th alarm and that there were 2 TL's operating, along with 6 lines stretched.

any further info would be great...

From Firehouse.com:

Bravest Hurt In Bronx Storefront Blaze

Ikimulisa Livingston  

Courtesy of New York Post

Six firefighters were injured yesterday in an early-morning blaze that swept through a vacant Bronx storefront, officials said.  

The Bravest spent nearly three hours battling the four-alarm blaze in the one-story building along Featherbed Lane in the Morris Heights section.  

Among those hurt was a firefighter who had to be hospitalized for heart trouble, a Fire Department spokesman said.  

Neighbors said the building and those adjacent to it had been vacant for several months because of roof problems.  

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.  

Also from Firehouse.com:

Four Alarm Fire Causes Big Problems for Bronx Neighborhood

Jeff Rossen  

Courtesy of WABC News - New York

Sunday a four-alarm fire broke out in a Bronx building, causing nearby residents to be evacuated. Tonight they my be home but they have no heat. Reporter Jeff Rossen has the story from Mount Eden.  

You can still see an active fire scene here in Mount Eden. Today on this block, a now burned out building was a grocery store. Right in the middle of the block was a computer shop and on the end a Chinese restaurant.  

Now, with the temperatures dropping, one of the coldest nights of the season, all the neighbors in the apartment building next door to the burned out building have no heat or hot water.  

Resident: "I can't stay here with no heat."  

For her family the Sunday will end as bad as it started.  

Resident: "Five in the morning running out with nothing, I could hardly find nothing because it got so smoky in here I couldn't see nothing."  

By 5:30 a.m. flames and choking smoke turned stores to ashes.  

Three stores were destroyed, but all of them were closed anyway: They'd been condemned because of rain damage suffered here last month.  

Today six firefighters were hurt battling this blaze, one of them admitted to the hospital with chest pains. Two children were injured with smoke inhalation. They'll all reportedly be okay.  

Building Resident: "Everybody was waking up everybody, because it was horrible. I mean, I never saw a fire that way."  

All the water used to put out the flames flooded the all- important boiler and it broke.  

It is going to be a long night. Firefighters were still there looking into the cause Sunday night, as it may be that this was no accident.As one chief told me today, in a condemned building fires don't start themselves