Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

Diamond Plated Boxes On FDNY Apparatus Roofs?

7 posts in this topic

What are they big diamond plated boxes on the roof of FDNY engiens, ive seen them only on squads now im seeing them on engines and trucks too. What is stored in them?????

tbendick,

I thought Truck Co's did the water rescues? How many Co's are actually a water rescue co for each boro? Thanks.

Truck companies are the water rescue units in the city. Some engines have them to carry Decon Equipment (Haztech Engines) and some units are Dewatering units. Squads also have them to carry their extra equipment.

There are engines that are trained in water/ice rescue. I believe a number of them in the Rockaways are trained as well.

name='JBE' date='Jul 24 2007, 11:19 PM' post='97898']

There are engines that are trained in water/ice rescue. I believe a number of them in the Rockaways are trained as well.

Engines can't be trained but the Engine Companies can?????? Just bustin on ya JBE

On the Squads and Haz-Tech Engines they are for storage of the Level A suits (So the unit is never without them even without the second piece). All other Haz-Mat equipment is on the second piece (stepvan), although I am pretty sure most carry their 5 Star and PID meters in the cab to be used on routine responses.