Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bababoosky

Empire State Games Opening Ceremony

14 posts in this topic

So, what agencies are going to be operating at the Kensico Dam tonight for the opening ceremonies? They are expecting around 18 thousand people (more than three times what was at the fireworks show!). I know that Valhalla and North White Plains will be there. I am sure County PD, North Castle, Mt. PLeasant, and DEP will be also be operating. Any other information?

P.S. Come 4PM it's going to be a nightmare to try and get anywhere around this aread due to the massive amount of people and traffic! Be Safe

So, what agencies are going to be operating at the Kensico Dam tonight for the opening ceremonies? They are expecting around 18 thousand people (more than three times what was at the fireworks show!). I know that Valhalla and North White Plains will be there. I am sure County PD, North Castle, Mt. PLeasant, and DEP will be also be operating. Any other information?

P.S. Come 4PM it's going to be a nightmare to try and get anywhere around this aread due to the massive amount of people and traffic! Be Safe

As a resident of Valhalla and not far from the fanfare, its a good nite to stay on the computer with a bag of chips and a nice cold soda in a tall galss of ice!

This place is going to be a mess with the prkwy closed and shuttle buses and any side roads will be bumper to bumper.

Its nice for the county to have these games and be nice to see it on 12 if they broadcast.

By the way, the paper said 15,000 spectors ( family and those able to get the few tickets availabe) as well as 6,000 athletes. 21,000 people....OMG!!! :o:o:o

I played in them a couple of years back........the opening ceremonies are nothing short of spectacular. It's total mayhem with all the people. You should attened it, its a great time. And watching the games is always a blast.

I will watch it on Tv. Would not go anywhere near that place tonight!!!!!!!

Yikes! I have to drive right by it for a night shift :(

Leave now if you want to get there on time!!! The traffic will be nothing short of a nightmare starting at 4 PM and through midnight. News 12 is broadcasting the opening ceremony live and there will be fireworks at 9:20 (or so).

This is what the Traffic Management Center posted about the event:

Westchester County Incidents

Incident No. Last Updated Vehicles Involved

72460 07/21/07 05:05 0

NY NS Bronx River / Taconic State Parkway at Mile Marker .0 in Mount Pleasant in Westchester county. At Kensico Dam Plaza.

Description

Special Events Campaign

Notes

TRAVELER ADVISORY

Traffic Diversion for July 25 Empire State Games Opening Ceremonies at Kensico Dam Plaza (Westchester County)

(Poughkeepsie, NY) The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) announced the following traffic pattern changes for Wednesday, July 25, 2007 to facilitate the Empire State Games Opening Ceremonies at the Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla, NY.

From 4 p.m. until Midnight, the Bronx River Parkway will be closed from Virginia Road to the parkway's northern end, and the Taconic State Parkway will be closed from Lakeview Avenue to the parkway's southern end.

During those hours, traffic will be diverted as follows: Northbound Bronx River Parkway traffic will be diverted onto Virginia Road, then right onto Rt. 100/Grasslands Road, then right again onto Bradhurst Avenue, then right onto Lakeview Avenue to the Taconic State Parkway northbound. Southbound Taconic State Parkway traffic will be diverted onto Lakeview Avenue, then left onto Bradhurst Avenue, then left onto Rt. 100/Grasslands Road., then left onto Virginia Road to the Bronx River Parkway southbound.

State Police, Westchester County Police, Mt. Pleasant Police, Greenburgh Police, North Castle Police, and MTA Police Officers will be stationed along the detour route to guide traffic.

As a resident of Valhalla and not far from the fanfare, its a good nite to stay on the computer with a bag of chips and a nice cold soda in a tall galss of ice!

Or a tall glass of beer.......

Are there going to be fireworks again tonight?

Or a tall glass of beer.......

Are there going to be fireworks again tonight?

YES! They are having fireworks tonight. I think around 9:00 ish P.M. :lol:

I'm there, with my sound guy hat on, sitting behind a mixing console as we speak. :)

Edited by 40-32 Comms

Ive officiated these games twice (ice hockey) and will be performing other off ice duties this year. If you can get out to see any of the events, I strongly advise that you do. As for the Opening Ceremony, havnt been to any. All I know is that there are a lot of people and its long, hot, and uncomfortable, at least if you are an athlete wearing your warm-up suit (info from first hand sources).

Based upon the itinerary that I've seen, the fireworks are at 9:20 pm (ish).

Don't get hit Chris...although if you are up there you will probly have the greatest view ever! Hope you have your camera ready!

I know that Yorktown is sending their Tanker and Millwood is sending their mini-attack as per requested from county.