Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AFS1970

Volunteer Recruitment Videos

3 posts in this topic

After following the links in another recent thread, I ended up watched a few random recruitment videos from other departments on Youtube, which has made me wonder something:

Do these videos actually work? Has anyone with one of these seen a large spike in recruitment? Has anyone joined solely because they saw the video?

I also notice that they seem to dwell on the things we as members of the fire service think are cool, and I'm not sure that those are always the things a prospective member might think was cool. I'd love to see one that had a nice mix of action shots with the softball games or picnics, or parades, or even the christmas party or annual dinner. But I still wonder if we as a service are aiming for the right audience with these.

Just some thoughts.

2 long. Whats up with the Duran Duran song!LOL Why is it when they talk about Vol Depts they always bring up the tax thing? Is that going to make somebody join.I know some towns and villages here in Westchester that are coverd by Vol dept and there taxes are high. I have all paid depts and services and my taxes are low. ;)

After following the links in another recent thread, I ended up watched a few random recruitment videos from other departments on Youtube, which has made me wonder something:

Do these videos actually work? Has anyone with one of these seen a large spike in recruitment? Has anyone joined solely because they saw the video?

I also notice that they seem to dwell on the things we as members of the fire service think are cool, and I'm not sure that those are always the things a prospective member might think was cool. I'd love to see one that had a nice mix of action shots with the softball games or picnics, or parades, or even the christmas party or annual dinner. But I still wonder if we as a service are aiming for the right audience with these.

Just some thoughts.

I have seen some videos on this site and others, and I agree with some of what youre saying. I believe they do target the COOL stuff...like action shots of Firefighters with flame shooting over their heads, or responding in the trucks with sirens blasting and the crew donning their gear...shouldnt we show perspective members what they realy might go through as a firefighter? Show them training shots of both classroom and hands-on, shots of volunteering for fundraisers like cooking, doing dishes, etc.? Make them see its not all guts and glory...that there is a dirty, sad, exhausting side to it but than cut to the brotherhood of it all...firefighters helping each other, firehouse BBQ's and dances, to elaborate on the rewarding and satisfying feeling you get by helping others.

Sorry, didnt mean to sound like a director or producer there!!!! :P I was just researching the possibility of making one for our dept when this thread popped up!

Moose