Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

NBC to drop 5 p.m. newscast

5 posts in this topic

Friday, July 27, 2007

NBC to drop 5 p.m. newscast

WNBC in New York has announced that it will drop its traditional 5 p.m. newscast in favor of a local news show at 7 p.m.

Veteran Chuck Scarborough will anchor the 7 p.m. show, and will remain partnered with longtime co-anchor Sue Simmons on the 11 p.m. news.

The changes will begin Sept. 10, according to a story posted on the NBC Web site.

“Our news at 7 p.m. meets the needs of viewers coming home from work and is a perfect complement to ‘NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams,’ which precedes it,” Station Manager and Senior Vice President of News Dan Forman said on the Web site.

Moving to 5 p.m. is the show that dishes the latest from Hollywood, “Extra.”

This is really not a bad idea, once the news at 6 is over its usually channel 12 or nothing at all until 11. I don't watch Channel 4 that often but I think I would probably end up watching it then, especially if I've already seen some CT news. Theres never anything on TV at that time anyways.

That's actually a brilliant idea, IMO. It makes sense, people are coming home later and later from work nowadays, and 5'oclock is usually a very busy hour in most households.

I remember when Channel 5 used to have the 7PM news. It always made sense, and I was just wondering last week why they dropped it.

Having spent the first 30 years of my adult life as a broadcast journalist, radio station manager and radio station owner -- I have wondered for years why no one thought of this before. In a large metro area like New York, who gets home at 5:00? And you can't watch TV while riding the train or driving your car on the way home. When you get home, the news is over. 7:00 pm should be a dynamite time for NBC4. They should do very well.