Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Wurtsboro Fire Commissioners approve Medical Calls by CPR-Certified FF's

8 posts in this topic

Wurtsboro fire commissioners approve medical calls by CPR-certified

July 28, 2007

For a month, Wurtsboro firefighters have answered some medical calls in defiance of their commissioners’ orders. Now, the board of commissioners has relented – for 30 days.

Last month, Wurtsboro’s fire commissioners ordered firefighters to stop going to medical calls for breathing difficulties and possible heart attacks, saying they could only answer actual cardiac arrest calls. The concern, Commissioner Bill Lothrop Jr. said, was liability if something went wrong.

The firefighters kept responding to back up the Mamakating First Aid Squad, since they can often reach a call before the ambulance. The fire rescue truck is equipped with oxygen and an automatic defibrillator.

Fire Chief Paul Champagne says some of the firefighters have CPR and defibrillation training, which appears to be the only training needed for what they’re doing.

The dispute came to a head Thursday night, at a heated commissioners meeting. Firefighters asked the board to relent and to help get them the medical training. Champagne said about 20 firefighters want to take the class.

After initial objections by Lothrop, the board agreed, stipulating that only firefighters with CPR certifications will touch the patients. The commissioners will reconsider the issue next month.

Heather Yakin

It is 2007, right? It feels like we've been in a time warp lately. EMS is on a really slippery slope right now. I hope we get our footing and keep moving up the hill!!

Put the FF's through a CFR class and let them learn what to do for a variety of calls - not just CPR (or heart attack/diff breath). Sheesh!

About time to come into the now, NO? If you can help the people you serve in a more expedient manner than so be it. They should obviously train them all as 1st responders and serve their community, not only professionally, but to the standard that is now expected. Isn't that why we have public service...and to say that responding provides a liability, I disagree, as long as they know their limits. Manpower may be important to assist the incoming EMS crew even if all they can do is stabilize the neck or carry someone down a flight of steps.

CPR w/ AED is nice for Security Guards, Life Guards, and the general public

but at a minimum a State Certified CFR I think should roll on the call.

New York State CFR - Certified First Responder is a GREAT class for any and all

Firefighters to take. I highly recommend it. I feel that CFR should be part of FF1.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/cfrintro.pdf

Firefighters both Career and Volunteer are getting more and more involved

in EMS everyday.

Fire Departments who do run an Engine or Rescue to EMS calls this should be

your minimum level of training when coming into contact with the patient.

Obviously a Certified EMT is better we could go on and on....... but if you don't TX it's a great start.

SQUAD 51: Johnny and Roy were PARAMEDICS and that was in the 1970's! :blink:

Just MY two cents!

SQUAD 51: Johnny and Roy were PARAMEDICS and that was in the 1970's!

But that's the West Coast. We usually take 20-30 years to catch up with them when it comes to emergency service innovations...

Whether FD or PD is going to assist at medical calls, CPR is a nice basic training, but since that is taught to so many people in civilian sectors, something more, like CFR, should be the standard of care for any EMS first response.

If it is so imperative for either the FD or PD to assist at an EMS call, then they should have a higher level of training then Joe Citizen.

Just my opinion.

QUOTE(RWC130 @ Jul 28 2007, 10:43 PM)

SQUAD 51: Johnny and Roy were PARAMEDICS and that was in the 1970's!

But that's the West Coast. We usually take 20-30 years to catch up with them when it comes to emergency service innovations...

But either Miami-Dade or Miami FD started a paramedic program about the same time. Isn't that East Coast?? :P

I find it incredible that in the 21st century a fire department doesn't have any type of first responder training, whether it be a first responder or EMT certification. What about serving your citizens in the best way possible?

I agree with the need for training but I will point out at least these guys respond. How many departments around here invest in EMT training and still can't role a truck. If I read the article right it sounds like thay have never been offered the training. My question is if once an orgaization is certified the state will pick up the tab for CFR and EMT training, it sounds like a Catch 22 where they can't recieve the training until your certified, but you can't get certified without the training. While for most departments aroud here spending 10-15 grand to put people through a course may not seem like much to many departments its a huge investment.

But either Miami-Dade or Miami FD started a paramedic program about the same time. Isn't that East Coast??

OK, I should of said the NORTH-East coast....LOL.