Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Capturing Mechanism of Injury with Photography

11 posts in this topic

Just curious if there are any agencies in the area (Westchester County and surrounding areas) that use Polaroid cameras or the like to capture pictures of scenes of personal injury to send to the hospital with the patient to give ED staff a better idea of mechanism. I know of only one agency off the top of my head that carries Polaroid cameras in thier ambulances for just this purpose (mostly used to take pictures of accident scenes to send along to the ER with the patient). Does anyone else do the same or similar?

Stamford EMS used to have a pilot program, and some units still have the cameras, but I don't think the program is still in effect...It wasnt really used much, it was hard to take a picture when you had a critical patient to take care of. If the supervisor was there, he would sometimes get the picture. I heard of an agency that uses digital pictures via either via PDA or cell phone and relays them to the hosp so they have an idea beforehand, I willl try and find the article.

Now thats a good idea. With the advent of "picture phones" maybe the quality if adequate to convey an idea to the doctor before you get there. How cool would it be if you could call for orders and when the doc pics up the phone, up pops a picture of the accident scene. Or take it one step further, and have a picture of the patient come up on screen so he can get an idea of what he is dealing with. Tho I'd imagine HIPPA would be a big hurdle there.

JEMS did an article on this (earlier this year?) i remember now, still looking for the copy.....

I feel that taking pictures of accident scenes to use as medical records per say is something that should be looked into further. It is beneficial on all ends...from the first responders having backing for their decisions all the way to the ER staff with visible aspects on the mechanism of injury to a patient. This is something that EMS agencies should look into to keep on the rigs.

I wouldn't worry about the picture being intercepted...the CDMA/TDMA formats used to transmit the digital information plus the compression algorhythms used to condense the info would prevent pretty much anybody but the NSA from getting a copy of the pic. With all the Nextels in public safety use in the county, I think using the picture Nextels on the way for MOI or patient presentation pix is an idea worth exploring.

I know of several agencies surrounding my home town that use the pop shot disposable polaroids... I think they are an effective tool for pt. care... since we are an extension of the ER and the Dr.'s eyes he/she can see what we saw...

When I worked for Port Chester EMS we tried doing this. It makes sense if you can do it, unfortunatly there was an incident with a Trooper who got a little agressive and didn't or couldn't grasp the concept.......................be safe

I personally have been keeping a camera with me for 2 years now.Kodak digital type and have more than once gotten a few shots for MOI to show the doc's at the E.D. Usually I try to get get 1-2 shot real quick while approaching the scene or if Fire is packaging the pt I try to get a couple.Also helps if you are involved in a mvc in your unit. I was in one and got lots of pics.The case went before the review board and my butt was saved because I had pics to back up my story.The accident reconstruction officer didn't believe my version untill I showed the pics to back it up and it saved my from having to pay 10% (Agency policy) of the repair costs because it wasn't my fault. At a minimum, I personally think that a cheap throw away type is wise to carry.

Both Mahopac Falls Rigs have polaroids and disposable digital camaras from cvs they work great

My former department in Westmont, IL used poloroids for the use that you mention. The ER Docs and Trauma nurses liked it.

They (paramedics) would also snap photos of the windshield and or damaged car so the Dr could see what the patient came out of.