Followers 0
LCFD968

EMS workers rally around injured comrade

4 posts in this topic

EMS workers rally around injured comrade

By JESSICA SEMINELLI

SPECIAL TO THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: August 5, 2007)

NYACK - In an emergency, Rockland Paramedic Services is quick to provide assistance. Now Ray Coffey, an employee of Rockland Paramedic since 1992, needs the community's help in return.

Coffey, 45, was severely injured in an accident in May while in the back of an ambulance working his per-diem job for Diaz Ambulance, based in Saugerties, N.Y. His injuries include fractures to all the thoracic vertebrae of his spine, rib fractures, a broken sternum and pelvis, and contusions to his heart and lungs. His prognosis remains unclear, and rehabilitation will be long.

Mark Donovan and April Tantillo, Coffey's fellow employees, have organized a fundraising event with all proceeds going to Coffey to help cover his medical expenses. They are raffling prizes including a 37-inch LCD flat-screen HDTV, Sony Cybershot digital camera, an iPod Nano, and four Yankees tickets.

The raffle will be drawn this month at the RPS 10-13 Party - named for the New York City emergency services distress code. The party will feature free refreshments, discounted drinks, a DJ and a 50/50 raffle.

Coffey, a father of three and a Gulf War veteran who lives in the Albany area, has earned the nickname "Go-To Ray" from those he works with.

"The reason we're doing this fundraiser is a testament to the kind of guy Ray is," Donovan said. "If you need a favor, you can always go to Ray."

Donovan said Coffey would provide coverage if someone were sick or out from work, even after completing his own 12-hour tour.

"We've received a number of letters from the public commending Ray's medical knowledge and treatment of patients," said Ray Florida, chief executive officer of Rockland Paramedic Services. "He's a great employee."

If you go

- What: RPS 10-13 Fundraiser Party

- When: 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Aug. 23 (raffle drawing at 8:30 p.m. - winners need not be present)

- Where: Black Bear Saloon, 82 Main St., Nyack

- Cost: $10 cover charge

To purchase raffle tickets in advance

- Call 845-228-3183

- Visit www.rps10-13.com

- Cost: $5 for one, $20 for five

- Checks for tickets or donations can be mailed to Rockland Paramedic Services, 149A S. Main St., Nanuet, NY 10954, and made out to the RPS Benevolent Fund. Write "Ray Coffey Fundraiser" in the memo line.

Just a question...is Diaz covering his medical expenses under workers comp? By no means am I saying the workers comp is enough to live off of, I was just thinking about what kind of coverage they have for him.

Are per diem employees even covered by workmen's compensation? I don't know, but you don't have all the other regular benefits, that is why you work per diem. If there is any coverage it must be slim cause w.c. is usually based on work hours and a percentage of expected salary, no? And I definitely don't think RPS would be responsible for the w.c. portion either. Makes you think, is it better to just work OT at your "A" job rather than take that "B" job.........

Unfortunately I will not be able to make the 10-13 party but will try to get some people at work to buy raffle tickets...Best wishes to Paramedic Coffey on a quick recovery!

Edited by Oswegowind

thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery to paramedic Coffey.