Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Peekskill Schools Tighten Dress Code

19 posts in this topic

Peekskill schools tighten dress code

By MARCELA ROJAS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 6, 2007)

PEEKSKILL - Students used to wearing oversized baggy jeans, midriff tops or flip-flops to school will have to update their wardrobes this upcoming academic year.

The Board of Education recently tightened its dress-code policy, outlining what K-12 students can and cannot wear to school. Letters were sent to parents last week explaining the new mandate that included a list of what was considered appropriate and inappropriate attire.

"The students were becoming too casual, and teachers and parents felt that kids weren't reflecting the fact that school was their work environment," said Superintendent of Schools Judith Johnson.

The initiative came at the behest of parents who were looking for guidance when it came to their children's school attire, Johnson said. Parents had even asked the board to consider a uniform policy, she said. A committee of parents and school staff was formed this past school year to examine the issues.

"Parents are saying they want to do this, so I think they will help us make this a success," Johnson said.

The reasons behind implementing a strict dress code are many, such as promoting a more effective learning environment, fostering school unity, improving student performance and conduct, and eliminating label competition, school officials said. Peekskill joins several Westchester school districts strengthening their dress code guidelines.

Prohibited garments include cut-off shorts, pants worn below the waistline, pajamas, see-through shirts, and dresses that have slits 3 inches above the knee. Other unacceptable items include bandannas, picks in the hair and spiked bracelets.

The dress code also provides a preferred list of appropriate apparel, including navy, black or khaki pants or skirts and collared shirts.

Students who do not adhere to the policy face disciplinary action that ranges from verbal warnings to suspension for repeated offenses.

Students would be suspended for being "disruptive to the educational process," Johnson explained.

Parents will be contacted if a student is inappropriately dressed and asked to bring in a change of clothes for their children, Johnson said. Clothing may be available at the schools for students to change into, but only if the parent approves, Johnson said.

Mayor John Testa, a high school history and technology teacher, said he is in favor of the policy.

"There are many students who wear inappropriate clothing that distracts from the educational process," he said. "This will enable teachers to concentrate on teaching."

Kiara Peeples, who will be a senior at Peekskill High this fall, said that for the most part, the new restrictions will be easy to follow, though she will miss wearing her T-shirt that says "Smile it's Friday."

The code bans writing on sweatshirts and jerseys but is less clear about writing on T-shirts. Peeples said she had grown disgusted by some of the clothes students were donning, including a T-shirt that said: "I'm not a gynecologist, but I can take a look." The code prohibits clothing that promotes sexual activity.

She admits that getting high schoolers to obey the rules may be tricky. She has already heard grumblings from classmates that the strict dress code will take away from their individuality, she said.

"High school is a big fashion show. Everybody tries to outdress each other," she said. "But everybody pretty much wearing the same thing will make it more comfortable."

Parent Alex Acevedo said he was disappointed that the district did not enforce a uniform policy. Acevedo has two daughters entering the third and fifth grades.

"This is more like a business-dress policy," said Acevedo, 37, a paramedic. "A uniform would create unity in the school and respect for learning and the learning process."

But his 10-year-old daughter, Sarah, said she is not disappointed with the new dress code.

"I think it's a good idea because people won't make fun of each other," she said.

Edited by vacguy

i personally think if you want to tell people (or regulate) what to wear, you should supply the clothing. dressing up the students a bit is fine especially the girls that look like hoochies and the guys that look like thugs, but this should be done at the expense of the school district, not the students or parents. basically i agree w/ the medic's statement

Edited by vacguy

I agree with the medic as well. they should have District issued uniforms, and they could possibly get help from some local merchants with that.

I agree with taking a tougher stance on what students wear to school, but a uniform isn't necessarily the answer. Creating "respect for learning and the learning process" is more about a student's attitude, interest in learning and how he/she is challenged to perform. While offensive or inappropriate clothing doesn't help, a constructive learning environment is much deeper than the clothes worn in schools.

As far as requiring a school district to provide uniforms, why add to a tax burden many people in this area are already struggling to meet? Anything that is at the expense of the school district is at the expense of the parents since school districts rely on taxes from residents.

If they did make a uniform policy parents can get uniforms at Walmart and other department stores. Alot of stores are starting to sell School Uniforms.

I agree with taking a tougher stance on what students wear to school, but a uniform isn't necessarily the answer. Creating "respect for learning and the learning process" is more about a student's attitude, interest in learning and how he/she is challenged to perform. While offensive or inappropriate clothing doesn't help, a constructive learning environment is much deeper than the clothes worn in schools.

As far as requiring a school district to provide uniforms, why add to a tax burden many people in this area are already struggling to meet? Anything that is at the expense of the school district is at the expense of the parents since school districts rely on taxes from residents.

that i know, but at least the tax is not an up-front cost where as they would have to dish out the cash right now or there kids can't go to school in september. but DOC22's suggestion was great...for vendors to donate the clothing. because now you have the "thugs" and the "hoochies" who now have to go out and by the more conservative clothing...and that is what i don't think is fair.

take my word for it, Gents...a dress code is NOT the answer. i've seen girls dress more "slutty" in catholic schools than they do in public schools. they somehow change the uniform around...the girls lift the skirt up, or tie up the front of her shirt, and the guys will pull their pants down even lower and buy a shirt thats 3 sizes too big etc. sometimes, these dress codes bring out more of a desire to rebel! tell them they cant wear jeans and a tshirt, they'll come in the next day wearing fishnet stockings and show off their belly button rings. at one point in my life, i was "subjected" to dress codes in my old school in the city and the girls looked hotter in their skimpy uniforms than they did in their "play" clothes. believe it or not, the public schools i went to had better dressed students (not to mention they were alot more respectable to their elders)....maybe by giving them the option helps. of course, i cant speak for all the students, there will always be those few, haha.

Pajama's? Do they really wear their pajama's? I am amazed.

i personally think if you want to tell people (or regulate) what to wear, you should supply the clothing. dressing up the students a bit is fine especially the girls that look like hoochies and the guys that look like thugs, but this should be done at the expense of the school district, not the students or parents. basically i agree w/ the medic's statement

I could agree fully with your statement if they were saying you would have to wear a uniform. Even then its an iffy topic. My 2 oldest children went to private school and I had to buy them their required uniforms and supplies on top of the tuition.

They aren't regulating much of anything, they are banning inappropriate attire. If you work in the business world, does the corporation buy you your shirt and tie or suit? But you know what is appropriate by their standards don't you. Maybe its where you are, but chances are in urban environments most that are dressed like "thugs" are gang thugs. Requiring appropriate attire is not that hard...you have to buy clothes...don't buy things that are on the ban list if you are planning on wearing it to school. Pretty simple don't you think? Why should the school district have to bear the costs of a dress code? Which in a way the parents would anyway if you are a property owner and pay school district taxes. Where do you think the money would come from?

I could agree fully with your statement if they were saying you would have to wear a uniform. Even then its an iffy topic. My 2 oldest children went to private school and I had to buy them their required uniforms and supplies on top of the tuition.

They aren't regulating much of anything, they are banning inappropriate attire. If you work in the business world, does the corporation buy you your shirt and tie or suit? But you know what is appropriate by their standards don't you. Maybe its where you are, but chances are in urban environments most that are dressed like "thugs" are gang thugs. Requiring appropriate attire is not that hard...you have to buy clothes...don't buy things that are on the ban list if you are planning on wearing it to school. Pretty simple don't you think? Why should the school district have to bear the costs of a dress code? Which in a way the parents would anyway if you are a property owner and pay school district taxes. Where do you think the money would come from?

this is all true, but i do not see the need to relate corporate America's dress code with that of a high school's. remember this dress code applies to ALL students from K-12. what care does a 8th grader have for corporate America? when i read the article i just felt bad for the kids. Then, after 7586 posted the regulations, i think its just ridiculous. (thanks 7586)

I went to a public school and have very little knowledge about private schools, but I am surprised to hear that they did not supply your children w/ uniforms.

i know peekskill is very racially diverse and i am 100% against any gangs colors in a public school or anything that screams violence, but these regulations sound to me like they're trying to create all students to be "preppy." ...not cool

Edited by vacguy

PFD165 Posted

Pajama's? Do they really wear their pajama's? I am amazed.

yea, schools have 'pajama day', kind of like dress down friday for the teachers I guess, and yea, students do not only wear pajamas on pj day...

As a parent of a high school sophomore I feel it is not the schools job to tell our kids how to dress it is our job as parents to teach our kids how to dress properly. Maybe I am old school but since when is it the schools job to tell kids how to dress. I am for some sort of restrictions but it won't do any good if parents do not enforce it. I see how some of the kids dress and I wonder how do the parents let them outof the house like that.

If a student does dress out of order than the school should notify the parents as a kid could leave the house dressed one way and change into something else which is not appropiate.

I pay enough taxes so my son can read, write, add, etc. The taxpayers should not have to dress my son or anyone else. If I catch my son wearing baggy pants with his boxers showing or any other type of inproper way of dressing I can guarantee his a** and my foot will get well aquainted.

Can you wear the GLOCK in your pants (Ghetto Style) or do you need a Holster now?

Knifes and Box Cutters OK?

This story was just on Fox 5 news at 10. Must be a very slow news day.

VAC guy...the point is when you get older the world isn't any easier. I'm making a reference that in life there are other places that tell you what you can wear, so why not schools.

I respect that you feel it might be ridiculous but I don't feel bad for the students. I'm soo sorry you can't wear baggy jeans that hand to your ankles..what a friggin shame.

I'm sorry that you can't wear most of the clothes that because parents fail today that a school district has to step in to teach respect and to achieve some form of order. To stop girls from getting groped. Don't know where you get the whole preppy thing from...but if someone is that fashionably hip I'm sure there are other ways to look 'thug' 'gothic' 'grunge' or whatever else is out there. I'm sorry you can't wear clothes that can hide even more weapons than normal clothes.

Maybe the clothes aren't the issue. They should go with metal detectors instead, random locker searches and run drug/weapon dogs randomly through school.

Again don't know where some of you are from..but read between the lines gang...much of that is security and gang related.

Its not all that difficult to adhere to. Where appropriate clothing its that simple, the majority of students are anyway.

VAC guy...the point is when you get older the world isn't any easier. I'm making a reference that in life there are other places that tell you what you can wear, so why not schools.

I respect that you feel it might be ridiculous but I don't feel bad for the students. I'm soo sorry you can't wear baggy jeans that hand to your ankles..what a friggin shame.

I'm sorry that you can't wear most of the clothes that because parents fail today that a school district has to step in to teach respect and to achieve some form of order. To stop girls from getting groped. Don't know where you get the whole preppy thing from...but if someone is that fashionably hip I'm sure there are other ways to look 'thug' 'gothic' 'grunge' or whatever else is out there. I'm sorry you can't wear clothes that can hide even more weapons than normal clothes.

Maybe the clothes aren't the issue. They should go with metal detectors instead, random locker searches and run drug/weapon dogs randomly through school.

Again don't know where some of you are from..but read between the lines gang...much of that is security and gang related.

Its not all that difficult to adhere to. Where appropriate clothing its that simple, the majority of students are anyway.

like i said i only feel bad bc the students or parents now have to purchase new outfits, thats not right. peekskill is not armonk or chappaqua...to purchase all new wardrobes can really be a burdon on some families.

im not really "fashionable" nor do i wear baggy jeans or have my a** out of my pants, but this situation is very hairy to me. i just remembered, when i was in high school they regulated dress wear...but primarily for girls and having their tits poppin out and thong strap hanging out. even though many guys would like to see that, its not respectable at all.

the preppy thing comes from the list of things they CAN wear...its just sounds very preppy to me. but i also agree w/ hfd219 and that its hard to understand how and why parents let their kids out of the house looking the way some do. but in recent times, what parents do not or cannot do, the school steps in. since im not a parent im not one to say if thats good or bad, but either way it's invasive; but it does benefit some students.

and...a few months ago peekskill had its share of gang related violence...maybe the metal detectors ARE a good idea. i still wonder why EVERY school doesn't have them, there are nut jobs in every school district

This may turn out to not be such a bad idea, however if it is in fact imposed, it is unlikely that it wont end up in court as a result of some angry parents.

"I'm sorry that you can't wear most of the clothes that because parents fail today that a school district has to step in to teach respect and to achieve some form of order. To stop girls from getting groped. Don't know where you get the whole preppy thing from...but if someone is that fashionably hip I'm sure there are other ways to look 'thug' 'gothic' 'grunge' or whatever else is out there. I'm sorry you can't wear clothes that can hide even more weapons than normal clothes."

I understand where you're coming from, ALS, but dont also get the impression that the dress code will change anything. I've been through the city's (not peekskill) public and private schools, and given my age, it hasnt been that long ago, so I can say that sometimes having a dress code makes things worse. In terms of security, I'd much rather have metal detectors, security guards, scanners etc etc, just as you said. I also dont like seeing kids dress with their pants down to their knees, or girls dressed like "they're asking for it". Trust me, whereever the school is and who ever the kids are, TELLING them what to wear will make them rebel in some way shape or form. Usually, the guys act like they have something to prove and become more violent and POSE like their something tough, and the girls act more slutty and change the uniform around to be the "naughty school girl". Like I said in my past post, i know most guys tend think its more "kinky" when the girls wear their lil skimpy school outfits, haha! i'm sure young school boys will think the same....

in the end, we're both thinking about the safety and longetivity of the school and its student. to bring out more of a sense of respect and dignity for themselves and towards each other. all i'm saying is that it takes alot more than a dress code...it takes a change in character (their age wont help the matter, ha). so bring the dress code on and lets see what happens...i'm not expecting much of a change, but if i do, i'll be happy :D

this is all true, but i do not see the need to relate corporate America's dress code with that of a high school's. remember this dress code applies to ALL students from K-12. what care does a 8th grader have for corporate America? when i read the article i just felt bad for the kids. Then, after 7586 posted the regulations, i think its just ridiculous. (thanks 7586)

I went to a public school and have very little knowledge about private schools, but I am surprised to hear that they did not supply your children w/ uniforms.

i know peekskill is very racially diverse and i am 100% against any gangs colors in a public school or anything that screams violence, but these regulations sound to me like they're trying to create all students to be "preppy." ...not cool

The way that I read ALS's post, he's only saying that there is no reason for the school district to buy the students clothes and I agree. It isn't just about what you wear, it's also about how you wear it. Pull your d*mn pants up so your underwear isn't hanging out and you're within the "code". The Peekskill code isn't mandating uniforms it is saying wear appropriate clothes that fit while you're in school and I have no problem with that! You can dress like a thug or a slut after school all you want.

Uniformity or at least standards of dress does actually reduce some instances of violence - not just gang violence by prohibiting "colors" but by reducing robberies and larcenies when I just have to have your 100 dollar Nikes or when I just gotta have that big ol' chain.

Yonkers and NYC went to uniforms in a lot of schools years ago and didn't buy them for anyone. Private and parochial schools have had uniform requirements for years and never provided uniforms.

No, dress codes aren't the sole solution but they can help the school district by giving them some standards to apply when dealing with problem students. As for a court challenge, schools have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt (pun intended). Courts have given schools the authority to create dress codes and/or uniforms so I don't think there's a big issue there.