Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fireman3484

Rescue Pumper Design question

6 posts in this topic

My volly department is beginning to research the possibility of purchasing a rescue pumper. the majority of our fire related calls are auto accidents and the truck it will be replacing is a regular engine. we are running that as an experiment and it seems to work quite well except for the lack of compartment space. we used to run a horton 18' walk in rescue but it was in an accident a few years ago and since has not been replaced. the need for a full blown rescue has been tossed due to low manpower numbers. we want 1 truck to run accidents and be able to manage a small spill or possible fire. what id like to know is this...

1) has anyone else swithced over from a rescue to a rescue pumper and if so were there any major problems?

2) how much do you actually carry in the rescue body

3) Ballpark price figures

4) any design complications with particular manufacturers?

5) this will have some debate but what manufacturer is ahead in the game of building these type vehicles

Thanks a million!

My volly department is beginning to research the possibility of purchasing a rescue pumper. the majority of our fire related calls are auto accidents and the truck it will be replacing is a regular engine. we are running that as an experiment and it seems to work quite well except for the lack of compartment space. we used to run a horton 18' walk in rescue but it was in an accident a few years ago and since has not been replaced. the need for a full blown rescue has been tossed due to low manpower numbers. we want 1 truck to run accidents and be able to manage a small spill or possible fire. what id like to know is this...

1) has anyone else swithced over from a rescue to a rescue pumper and if so were there any major problems?

5) this will have some debate but what manufacturer is ahead in the game of building these type vehicles

Thanks a million!

http://www.yfd.org/images/appSQ11a.jpg

I would definately say that Yonkers FD has the best spec'd Rescue/Pumper Rig out there (YFD Squad 11). Take a look at www.yfd.org and go under apparatus and then click on Rescues. Both YFD's new '07 ALF Eagle Heavy Duty Tandem Axel Rescue Rig is pictured there as well at the above mentioned '06 ALF Eagle Rescue Pumper

www.iafflocal3059.org. Look at the picture page and click on apparatus. There is Squad 21 and Engine 34, both of which are 2006 Seagrave rescue pumpers. They are allmost identical in body design with a few minor differences between them. They both have 500 water 20 of class b foam 1500gpm pump. Ladders are stored under the hosebed. If you need any other info, I can get it for you since I was one of the guys who helped spec the Squad out. Also look at fleetmastersinc.com. Under recent deliveries are both of the trucks I am talking about, and it gives you more pictures.

Edited by TFD9427

Thanks a million!

JH Ketcham Hose in Dover did this about 4 years ago, they sold a walk-in Rescue to the City of Poughkeepsie FD and combined an engine replacement with a Rescue Pumper design, it is housed in Sta. 2, 750 water, E-One Cyclone II chassis with a Saulsbury body, crosslays, backboard storage, full height/depth compartments with rescue tools w/ pre-connected reels, cribbing storage, underbody storage, vehicle stabilization equipment, Light tower on cab roof, 1000' 5" LDH, etc..., drop by anytime someone is there or on Monday evenings and take a look. I will try to get some photos.