Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeinet

NYS EMT Exam vs National Registry

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm looking to take the national registry EMT Basic exam in the upcoming weeks... question I have is how close is it to the NYS EMT Exam? Is there additional material that isn't covered on the NY exam? Anyone taken it? Recommend any review books for it? I have my orig. EMT books, but i'm not sure if I should get one just for national registry since it might be a tad different than i'm used to with NYS exams.

Thanks!

I just took the Nat. Reg. Exam for my EMT-B in June. The new system is by computer where they ask you a question and you have to answer it before moving on to the next. I don't know about the NYS exam because I'm from CT, but the National is very, very difficult. The test is very situation based, I would review the kind of things you need to do for a specific situation. I would think your EMT books would suffice, as long as they aren't too old. Hope this helps some.

Ah that kind of follows along with my other question... just moved to CT. Once you get your national cert, how long does it take to get your CT emt card? Is there anything additional you have to do (ie: refresher class?)

Ah that kind of follows along with my other question... just moved to CT. Once you get your national cert, how long does it take to get your CT emt card? Is there anything additional you have to do (ie: refresher class?)

If you have a NYS EMT Card that is not expired all you have to do is fill out the reciprocity paperwork in CT and they will send you a card. No test and no fee. The process takes about 1 month to complete. In fact, the National Registry does not help at all.

Really? I thought that you had to take a refresher class?

Nope, just pay them the filing fee and just like that you have a shiny new card :)

Actually you don't even need to pay a fee. I did this about a year and a half ago. The link below will take you to the EMT cert. pdf. on the CT Dept. of Health website. Scroll down to pages 11-13 which are forms # 202 and 203. All you need to do is fill those out and fax to the number on the bottom of the forms. My advice is to call the phone number on the form and speak to the EMT cert. division just to make sure nothing has changed. You will get a 2 year CT. cert in about a month.

http://www.dph.state.ct.us/Licensure/apps/emsapp2.pdf