Followers 0
Porsha911gt3

New State Fire Administrator Appointed

7 posts in this topic

New State Fire Administrator Appointed

Rochester City fire chief appointed by Spitzer to state post

Joseph Spector

Staff writer

(August 16, 2007) — Rochester Fire Chief Floyd Madison was appointed today by Gov. Eliot Spitzer to serve as the New York state fire administrator, heading the state’s Office for Fire Prevention and Control.

Madison, 60, has served as chief of the Rochester Fire Department since 1999. Prior to that, he served for 19 years at the Washington, D.C. Fire and EMS Department, where he served as the deputy fire chief of the firefighting division and the fleet maintenance division.

Madison’s annual salary as fire administrator will be $105,000.

Madison, Rochester’s first African-American fire chief, said he expects to transition to the position over the next month and officially move into the position in October. Mayor Robert Duffy would appoint his successor.

“It’s been a great run,” Madison said in an interview. “The eight years here have been absolutely phenomenal. I think I had an opportunity to work with some of the best professionals in the business. But none of this is lifetime as a fire chief.”

Madison is a member of the board of directors of the Finger Lakes Regional Burn Association, the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross. He was recognized as the Fireman of the Year in 2002 by the United Church Ministry Inc.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

I was just looking for the right place to post this :)State Press Release. From what little I know of the situation, seems like a great move for us in New York.

Great, maybe now I'll get the last 8 months worth of state certificates I'm waiting on

Congratulations to the new administrator. I am sure he can use all the help he can get from Fire departments across the State.

Best of luck to the new administrator. I look forward to hopefully some new and exciting vision and changes.

Good Luck to the new Administrator!