Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Photos -68 E Hartsdale Av. Apt Building Fire 1993

7 posts in this topic

Protection From the Past

Date: Sunday May 23, 1993

Location: 68 East Hartsdale Av. Hartsdale NY -cross Columbia Av.

Time: 05:15

Description of Incident: Heavy outside smoke discovered by passing Greenburgh Police Medic on patrol.

• Six Story Cooperative Apartment Building with fire in the cockloft throughout.

Units Operating:Hartsdale FD, Greenville Ladder 4, Fairview E 176, Elmsford Quint 2, Yonkers TL75 Engine 314, Dobbs Ferry TL23, Scarsdale FD. M/A stand by units in quarters.

post-23-1188014266.jpg

post-23-1188014287.jpg

post-23-1188014312.jpg

post-23-1188014326.jpg

post-23-1188014340.jpg

68 East Harsdale Av May 23, 1993 PFP

post-23-1188015178.jpg

post-23-1188015192.jpg

post-23-1188015205.jpg

WOW!!! Those pictures bring back some memories!!!! Thinking back, I now recall everything from that fire as if it was yesterday.

One bit of interest - Elmsford Quint 2 was used that day to not onlyh supply its ladder pipe and several handlines, but it also supplied the City Of Yonkers FD's engine and one other piece of apparatus (so I can't remember it all).

My hose team was actually the first onto the fire floor (I was the nozzleman). Once we made entry to the apartment that the fire started in/over, we got driven out by 3 aerial streams - twice!!!

It was one really LONG day to say the least.

This Building has been rebuilt with sprinklers as well as stand pipes.

More pictures to follow.

WOW!!! Those pictures bring back some memories!!!! Thinking back, I now recall everything from that fire as if it was yesterday.

One bit of interest - Elmsford Quint 2 was used that day to not onlyh supply its ladder pipe and several handlines, but it also supplied the City Of Yonkers FD's engine and one other piece of apparatus (so I can't remember it all).

My hose team was actually the first onto the fire floor (I was the nozzleman). Once we made entry to the apartment that the fire started in/over, we got driven out by 3 aerial streams - twice!!!

It was one really LONG day to say the least.

Not to be the big bringdown to some awesome shots of great historic apparatus, but that scenerio concerns me quite a bit. Not only that masterstreams were driving you out of an appartment, but that Q-2 was supplying both master streams and handlines at the same time....

Those are three rules of engagement I would never break as a pump operator or OIC...

1: Pumps supplying handlines ONLY supply handlines.

2: Pumps supplying master streams ONLY supply master streams

3: Dont place a master stream in operation into a room where MOS are making an attack or rescue.

Many people argue that relief valves are there to protect FF's on handlines, but I assure you that a relief valve is only as good as the person who sets it, AND the capacity it's rated for vs. what is coming into the pump.

If you've got guys on a handline and your master stream shuts down in a rush (like some fool backing over your supply line to the ladder operating next to you) the guys on the handline can be in a world of hurt.

Otherwise... awsome pics.

Oh yeah... The pic of Quint 2 brings back memories of the old E-247... Century Cab LaFrance with a 8V-72 in it. The MPO for Q-2 has the dog box open to cool the motor... E-247 was the same way.... On a hot summer day, after a job where it was pumping, you'd burn your leg on the dog box on the way home.

Irvington was there too. I remember being stuck as a hydrant man for four hours