Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Chief pushes for new fire station for south end of Danbury

3 posts in this topic

From the Danbury News Times, August 27, 2007

Link: http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.ph...p;sc=1#comments

DANBURY -- It's been nearly a century since horses hauled firefighting apparatus through the streets of the city.

But part of the second floor of Citizens Hose Co. #6, the 112-year-old volunteer fire station on Jefferson Avenue, still contains the hay bins that held the fuel for the department's early horsepower. The bay on the ground floor is barely large enough to accommodate the current fire engine.

"There's really no room to maneuver. When there is a fire, guys are climbing over each other to get dressed," said Citizens Hose Capt. Charlie Zilineck.

The time has come, city and fire officials agree, to replace what Danbury Fire Chief Geoffrey Herald calls the "quaint but outdated' buildings occupied by Citizens Hose and Wooster Hose Co. #5 on Coal Pit Hill Road with a fire station more suitable for a modern department.

In a report to the Common Council last month, Herald, who leads the city's paid department, proposed a combined facility be built somewhere in the south end of the city that would accommodate both volunteer companies.

While stressing that discussions are "still in the early stage" and that no site for the proposed new station has been identified, Herald said, "It's really time to move on it."

The two stations are the oldest among the six volunteer houses in the city, and fill an important role in assisting the paid department, fire officials said.

"Those companies are linchpins on the southern end of town," Herald said. "They are responsible for a lot of area."

Now referred to as Squad 6 by fire officials, the truck used by Citizens Hose carries lighting and salvage equipment and apparatus used to refill firefighters' air packs, Herald said.

Wooster Hose, which has about 15 active members, remains an engine company.

"They are two of our most active (volunteer) companies," said Common Council member Fred Visconti, a former firefighter who represents the Fifth Ward, where both are located.

While the two companies' buildings remain attractive, the cost of maintaining them has escalated disproportionately in recent years, Herald said.

"They need new roofs and the furnaces are always breaking down," Visconti said.

By combining the two volunteer companies under a single roof, members would be able to cross-train on each other's trucks, which would increase the manpower available in an emergency, Zilineck said. His company has about a dozen active members.

"It would be a big asset to the city," he said.

Herald said the size of the buildings also limits the size of the apparatus that can be stationed in them.

"They have to buy a fire truck that fits in the fire house, not the one they need to accomplish the job," he said.

Visconti said the city, ideally, would like to build the new facility on property that it already owns to keep down the cost.

"It's not going to happen overnight, but it needs to be done," he said.

Mayor Mark Boughton agreed.

"It's under preliminary discussion but it is a discussion where the time has come," Boughton said.

Before I respond to this, I would just like to state that I don't mean to bash on the Danbury volunteers, I have great respect for them and more than a few of my friends belong to various vollie companies across the city. That being said, Danbury's 12 volunteer companies, as of late, seem to have a problem getting out the door in a timely fashion. Stationing Engine 5 and Squad 6 together could definitely be a step in the right direction for a volunteer department that doesn't seem to have a system in place to respond together. For example, if I was a member of 14's (King Street) I would not be able to respond with Engine 8's if I was in that side of the city. Putting a few volunteer companies together may help to fix that problem and start working/responding together, with members of various companies responding on rigs together as needed. It sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not sure how it would be taken by the companies themselves. Anyone have any thoughts? Especially from any of the Danbury Paid guys, or vollies if there are any on this forum.

volunteer department that doesn't seem to have a system in place to respond together. For example, if I was a member of 14's (King Street) I would not be able to respond with Engine 8's if I was in that side of the city.

This is not true If you are a green tagged Firefighter. You can go help any other Eng.co as long as you have your gear and tags. we are all trained by the city's training officer, And when we train we train together. I have Responded with Eng.9 and Eng 10 And I'm a member of Eng. 5.

Fair enough, but I'm just saying the volunteers should work together alot more to get out the door together. Is that a common thing for guys to ride other house's trucks? Because I guess I just never got that impression.

Anyway, the Chief is absolutely right about E5/Sq6 needing new houses:

Engine 5 and Squad 6 are obviously tiny.

Engine 8 is pretty cramped too

Engine 10 looks like its a bit of a squeeze, but they seem to make due.

Any of the other vollies seem tiny to anyone else? I'm sure I'm missing some.