Followers 0
pfdfirefighter01

Putnam deputies, troopers, local police to crack down on distracted driving

5 posts in this topic

Putnam deputies, troopers, local police to crack down on distracted driving

By TERENCE CORCORAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 29, 2007)

Putnam deputies are joining state and local police in a stepped-up enforcement this week aimed at distracted drivers, Sheriff Donald B. Smith said today.

The enforcement, which runs through the end of the week, is part of a statewide effort dubbed, "Taking Action against Driver Distraction."

Among the violations police will be looking for are the use of handheld telephones while driving, drivers with only one hand on the steering wheel, drivers with more than one earphone for an electronic device -don't drive while listening to an iPod or MP3 player - and even in-car televisions that are within the driver's view.

Fines can be as high as $100, plus a $50 surcharge, Smith said. He noted that a 2006 study found that almost 80 percent of accidents happen within 3 seconds of a driver being distracted.

"Through education and enforcement, we are hoping to raise awareness about the dangers of distracted driving, to encourage more responsible phone use and safe-driving habits overall," Smith said in a release.

Can you really get a ticket for this????

Among the violations police will be looking for drivers with only one hand on the steering wheel

just wondering if this is really illegal

This is state wide. I read somewhere else "no hands" I guess a lot of people drive with their legs.

Can you really get a ticket for this????

just wondering if this is really illegal

Educating distracted drivers is an excellent idea; it ought to be for more than a week though. Oops, gotta go, the light changed.

Any suggestions for how I shift my standard?

Educating distracted drivers is an excellent idea; it ought to be for more than a week though. Oops, gotta go, the light changed.

Any suggestions for how I shift my standard?

Hubster asked me to post a link to "No hands across America". http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/tjochem/..._home_page.html

See the journal. 2797 miles at 59.6 mph. Not bad for a 'one eyed four month old'.

"VTL 1226. Control of steering mechanism. No person shall operate a motor

vehicle without having at least one hand or, in the case of a physically

handicapped person, at least one prosthetic device or aid on the

steering mechanism at all times when the motor vehicle is in motion."

Additionally, DMV still teaches use of hand signals, three of which are illustrated in the on-line Manual. That knowledge presupposes, at least in theory, that one hand will have to be off the wheel.

I personally doubt that there will be any tickets issued for "one-handed operation." I also have no doubt that any patrol officer who wanted could find SOMETHING to write-up for most drivers, if they were of that mindset.

As always, drive carefully and with purpose.

Bob