Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mohegan getting another Wheeled Coach? Elmsford As Well.....

9 posts in this topic

According to the Nov '04 edition of First Responder News/Swankie News........the Wheeled Roach ad says "Mohegan Lake Volunteers" have a new bus on order? Any truth to this? Suprising to me, I would think LMFD*EMS would have gone with a PL Custom or Road Rescue.

Also, I heard a rumor that Elmsford FD is getting ready to order a new Wheeled Roach Shortly.

Officially, the new 69B3 will be a 2004 F-450 Wheeled Coach. The new rig will be almost identical to the 2 current Wheeled Coach's in service as 69B1 and 69B2 with few modifications. Being one the Engineer's of Mohegan FD VAC...I was totally in favor of a PL Custom over a Wheeled Coach. The body structure and composition was tremendously stronger and designed far beyond what Wheeled Coach has to offer. The current 69B1 and 69B2 were purchased off the lot in 2001 for roughly $75,000 each. Ever since delivery, these rigs have been plagued with problems from the electrical components, body structure, transmission, compartment door hinges breaking among various other problems that has caused frequent down time!!![-X :-k #-o. Although this said, the replacement committee felt that it would "better suit our needs" to get a Wheeled Coach since it will be in a 5 year replacement cycle ](*,) . Unfortunately during the VAC meeting in October, the Wheeled Coach out voted the PL Custom by popular vote ](*,). In addition, PL Custom was taking too long to send the bid back. So in the end, the new rig will be bought off the lot just like the others. :cry: :sad:

Very, very disappointing news.

Now, I understand there are a lot of agencies that operate Wheeled Coach and are satisfied. However, most of these places, they are the low-bid winner, or people don't any better. With the excpetion of LA City's ambulances (which are built completly differently then the regular wheeled coachs) Also, look how many repeat customers WC has had in the WC. Those who bought once never bought again. Harrison, Eastchester, Empress, Transcare/Metrocare, etc etc.

I've seen several photos of Wheeled Coach modules involved in MVA's, and the mods just disintergrate. And what bothers me the most about Wheeled Coach, is, put it up side to side with another quality manufacturers product, and you can actually FEEL the construction differences.

You guys must be happy with Wheeled Coach, if you voted for it. (or members who dont actively ride have way too much of a say). Mohegan EMS, being as busy as they are, and being a volunteer agency, shocks me that they would put price over quality. ScarVac and EFD EMS, SAME thing.

There are plenty of other great quality brands out there besides Wheeled Coach, that you could probaly get a similar value for, especially if you bought a demo. Lifeline, Road Rescue, MedTec, Braun, Excellance, Horton, etc.

Oh well, best of luck with it.

from what i heard Yorktown VAC is apparently getting a new lifeline......

The new 69B3, a 2004 Ford F-450/Wheeled Coach will be delivered by the end of November (It was ordered in early October). It replaces a 1999 Ford F-450/AEV.

x635 said

I heard a rumor that Elmsford FD is getting ready to order a new Wheeled Roach Shortly.

Heard same thing ,, A final approval on spending is in the works!

More to follow

Mohegan FD VAC officially took delivery of the new 69B3 yesterday. The rig is in the process of being outfitted with the radios, markings and being stocked with equipment. A few new features, but seems that it will have just as many complications as the other 2 rigs (already there was an electrical problem which delayed delivery!). We'll see what happens down the road....