Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MRK303

FD response area map/Firehouse addresses

10 posts in this topic

I am working on a GIS map project and was wondering if anyone has a map of fire department response areas in Westchester County as well as a list of fire department addresses. Thanks a lot

mrk303, just wanted to offer any assistance I can offer. I am a GIS Analyst at work, so feel free to e-mail me or PM me with questions. I have FD maps of hydrants, water mains, hazard areas, haz-mat maps with buffers and zones, locations of CP's, stores for logistical needs etc. Give me a shout and we can talk GIS.

Good luck brother.

Moose

Westchester GIS has some of this information. There is a cool map of the County at the FTC that has all the Districts on it. The County GIS site has some interesting looking stuff on there. I tried reproducing the map of the County with Fire Districts but didn't have much luck - not a GIS expert!

The County has some interesting forms on their Library Page, including Fire Station Locations

The County also has a mailing list with Department Addresses and names of Chiefs.

I can get you a list of fd addresses and a general fd district map if you want for Putnam County. Let me know but I can only fax it. PM me.

What is a GIS Map? Never heard the term before.

What is a GIS Map? Never heard the term before.

Geographical Information Systems

Thanks for the info but I also should have added to my original question: What is their point/what are they used for?

Thanks for the info but I also should have added to my original question: What is their point/what are they used for?

GIS is able to work wonders with electronic mapping and data projects. Though I'm not a GIS expert, I'll try to explain as I understand it... Working from a base map of a given area, Westchester County for example, data is added in layers (FD's, PDs, response areas, sewer lines, power lines, hydrants, water mains, lakes, industrial complexes, tax maps/property lines, roads, etc, etc.

Using GIS viewers, these maps can then be viewed with whatever layer you need... For a fire, water mains, and hydrants. For a weather emergency, rivers, streams and flood prone or flooded areas.

They can be printed on large scale plotters for use in incident response, planning, etc.

I was involved in an exercise this Spring where GIS was probably the hottest commodity because they were able to print maps needed by almost every part of the organization. I'll see if I can post a few as an example.

Long story short - if you have access to GIS people and their products - GET THEM INVOLVED in your operations and responses. They can prove to be invaluable and save everyone lots of time producing this resources by hand.

I work with GIS at my job everyday. It's a really good thing to learn.

A perfect example is if you ever use any of the online mapping (Google, Yahoo, Microstf) you have used a GIS based project