Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

What's a Fire Hydrant?

15 posts in this topic

What's a Fire Hydrant?

Is it that little Red, Yellow, or Orange thing that EVERYONE runs past to grab an Air Pack so they can run into the Fire and save the day? #-o

i agree i think it is cause the hydrant is to low to the ground the people cant see it and run to the biggest object they see which is the firetruck with the air packs lol

Cant fight a fire with out some water!!! duh

What's a Fire Hydrant? 

Is it that little Red, Yellow, or Orange thing that EVERYONE runs past to grab an Air Pack so they can run into the Fire and save the day?    #-o

NO NO NO. A fire hydrant is a marker that shows the cops where to park.

The universal marker for Rover to leave his scent

Funny you mention this...

A hydrant is a decorative item that is well hidden behind bushes, so on the arrival of FD, we have to dig up the nice bush, throw it out of our way, and instruct the local golf course to "transplant" the bush elsewhere.

you are right...but why are we not doing anything about it....many places have laws that prohibit blocking or plantings within 3ft of a hydrant....why are we or the water dept. not enforcing that...and on another issue....what about the color code system...how many depts. think it is nice to just have rainbow hydrants...or the homeowners want them dark green to blend into to grass...why are we all not using the NFPA coloring and when is the last time that the ones that are colored checked to see if they still flow the same Gals. ](*,) .....sadly I think we caiter a bit too much...time to make sure we protect ourselves and them from themselves!

Why are all NYC Fire Hydrants BLACK? 8-[

Well, Black and Silver.....

I think there should be one standard color for fire hydrants.

There is a Standard for marking of Fire Hydrants... NFPA 291.

Hydrants that flow-

Less than 500 GPM= Red

500- 999 GPM= Orange

1000-1499 GPM= Green

more than 1500 GPM= light blue

This code only recommends that the bonnet be color coded.

I don't recall, but I believe it recommends the barrell be painted yellow for visability.

All the Hydrants in my Village are Painted just as RES20CUE posted.

The NFPA 291 Recommendation is very important for All pump operators to know.

Several streets near my house have Fire Hydrants Painted with Red tops. If an MPO doesn't know this and connects to this low flow(>500GPM) hydrant,, he or she will not get the safe H20 flow to put the fire.

I feel every pump operator should learn the above listed standard.If you respond to a town on M/A remember to go for the Green Hydrant if you have a choice.

** Post the NFPA Standard at the Firehouse **

Hydrants that flow-

Less than 500 GPM= Red POOR

500- 999 GPM= Orange Better

1000-1499 GPM= Green Very Good

more than 1500 GPM= light blue Major Water from a hydrant !

Be Safe

What Westchester Fire Department's paint Fire Hydrants according to the NFPA 291 Standards?

Who paints and tests them? FD, DPW?

Hydrants within the Town of New Castle(Millwood, Chapaqua) are.

Town of Greenburgh has the same color standards and the water dept paints them

Mt. kisco works of a gravity feed system w/ a pump. our hydrants go red are < 500 gal. orange are 500 to 1000 and green is > 1000 or better. our neighbors chappaqua have a pressurized system w/ plenty of water. they are pobably in the 1500 range.

just wish we had to use them more often! :-#

in my village, they are all the same color: red with a silver bonnet. there are about 4 or 5 that are yellow tho. over the years they replaced some of the yellow ones with red ones and painted over some yellow ones with red.